Monday, July 24, 2006

Ramblings

This morning I'm not feeling clever or witty (not that my posts usually are witty, but they are at least coherent), so bear with me if I just throw some things out there in a stream-of-consciousness kind of way. It has been a very hectic two weeks and I'm feeling the effects.

I know, I know. I'm fixing to leave on a long and tiring trip, so I should have been resting up. Tell that to all my customers and my children. For some reason they don't agree. I've tried to respect my body's need for sleep the last few days, but that meant something had to slide. Unfortunately, that something was my book. I'd start writing after the house was quiet and work was done, until I found myself nodding off in the middle of a sentence. Sometimes I'd get several pages; sometimes I wouldn't make it past two. Yesterday I made a concerted push and am happy to say that I'm half a scene from writing THE END. I very excited and proud of that.

I've got a list a mile long today to prepare to leave tomorrow morning. Whose idea was it to leave before I'm normally even conscious? Oh yeah, it was mine. :) So I must work extra hard to get all those last minute things done today. But first I'm taking my children swimming (which will by some miracle make up for the babysitter shuffle they'll play the rest of the week). Don't even get me started on Mommy-guilt. It is kicking in big time.

One fun thing I get to do for me today is have a manicure/pedicure. I don't usually do this for myself, especially the manicure. There isn't much point when you are washing your hands all day long, because the polish chips after the first day. At least it does on me. But for Nationals, I let someone else do the work and spend the week looking at my hands as if they don't belong to me. :)

This time last week I felt like I was operating under a pressure cooker. I felt like there was so much I needed to get done and not enough time to do it. But today I feel relatively calm. Probably because I only have to focus on 2 things, my children and getting ready for Nationals. Though as the day goes on, I may have to resort to my "Happy Place" to keep from hyperventilating.

Everything will be okay. It will all get done eventually. Or not, because we're leaving tomorrow whether the dishes are done and everyone's laundry has been put away. And quite frankly, I can't wait. But then again, I can. Funny, huh?

Angel

3 comments:

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Blogger ate my original post. Phooey. Anyway, I hear you. I work today, go to the dentist at lunch to see if I can get this pain to stop. After work is mani/pedi time and a desperate search for some gray/silver shoes without too much bling. I'm 70% packed, so I need to finish (don't forget to go vote for what dress I should wear), clean up the mess I left when I got back from my last trip, check, double check...

The hardest part will be getting DB up at 6:15 to take me to meet everyone. Snore... I do have a case of Monster energy drink if anyone wants some. :)

SP

Playground Monitor said...

NO Mommy guilt! That's an order. Repeat after me: A happy mommy who is pursuing her dreams is a better mommy. DQ and LM aren't starving are they? They have clean clothes, yes? And you love them dearly, right? And you're taking them swimming and do all sorts of other things with them. You're a great mommy and when they're old enough to understand everything you do, they'll be so proud of you and point to your books in the store and say "My mommy wrote those."

PM

Anonymous said...

Ah...mommy guilt. Got to love it-NOT!! I suffer through it every day. i don't have to work, yet I will go crazy if I dont. However I do feel guilty because for me to work, my 14 yr old must babysit her 3 sisters..so there the guilt stars. Oh, well. I vote for the purple. And if the dress is snug enough, go sans bra-it's not like you are breathing anyway, so why add the discomfort of that particular undergarment ;)