Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Omigod! It’s PC’s Totally Awesome Quiz

I’ve made no secret of my age (my weight, yes—my age, no), and oh, the 80’s were great fun for me. (Reminisces…). Here’s your chance to show your love of the decade of big hair and big shoulder pads.*

Yes, there are wonderful prizes to be had for the winners…(and there will be at least two).

Now, Googling any answer would be cheating, and we all know that’s not allowed on the Playground. By entering, you are pinky-swearing, cross-your-heart-and-hope-to-die promising that you did this all honestly.

Comments can go in the comments column, but quiz answers need to be sent to me: problemchild@writingplayground.com.

Here we go...

Name the Song and Artist:

1. “I don’t feel tardy.”

2. “I smell like I sound.”

3. “Do you take sugar? One lump or two?”

4. “I wanna tell her that I love her but the point is prob’ly moot.”

5. “Suckin’ on chili dogs outside the Tastee Freeze.”

6. “There’s a world outside your window, and it’s a world of dread and fear.”

Slightly tougher questions

7. Name at least one movie starring both of the Coreys.

8. “I want (WHO) in charge of me.” (Bonus points for naming the actor.)

9. Name the couple who’s Livin’ on a Prayer.

10. Who is “Learning about Cuba. Eating some food?”

11. “The grass is green and the girls are pretty...” Where?

12. “They call us Problem Child, We spend our lives on trial, We walk an endless mile.” Who are we?

13. In 1982, who was Billy Idol dancing with?

14. “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” What's the word and where is the quote from?

15. Gene Kelly, Olivia Newton-John and ELO. What do these three things have in common?

16. Name at least three members of the Brat Pack.

17. Name two Brat Pack movies.

18. According to Howard Jones, who is to blame?

Extra super bonus point question (and possible tie-breaking question):

Explain this lyric to me…please:

“The Reflex is a lonely child, who’s waiting by the park.
The Reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark.
Watching over lucky clover, isn't that bizzare?”


It’s my quiz, so my decisions could be completely arbitrary and still totally binding. Entries must be in my mailbox by 7pm CST. Answers and winners (and commentary) will be up later in the evening.

Like, totally have fun.

(The Playfriends and Rhonda are not eligible to win, but I think they should have to enter just for bragging rights…)

PC

*And if y’all are really good, I’ll post the picture of PC and Counselor Shelley that has both.

19 comments:

Katherine Bone said...

Oh, this is so totally over my head. What songs did you get these lyrics from? If they weren't from R & B or disco, I can't help you.

I recognized some Guns and Roses, Sting and I know who the Brat Pack are and their movies, possibly the Corey movies but... the rest is a blur.

Kathy

Katherine Bone said...

Oh, and of course, I know who sings the reflex lyrics but don't ask me what it means.

Kathy

Playground Monitor said...

I could answer two questions without the help of Google -- the Brat Pack ones and I'm not sure why I knew those.

For me, the 80's was not a decade of big hair and shoulder pads. It was a decade of diapers, potty training and car pools. I was busy raising two boys and sorta missed out on all this stuff. Instead of the lyrics PC named, I was listening to "Rubber duckie, you're the one. You make bathtime so much fun. Rubber duckie I'm awfully fond of you." *g*

Great quiz though. Maybe I'll pop a 70's quiz on y'all one day and have a little fun. ;-)

Meljprincess said...

I have completed the quiz and hope I get an A+. *g*
I miss the 80's so much. That was the best time of my life. I was in a band, meeting bands, working at a record store, and partying like a wild animal. lol!
Btw, I saw Billy Idol in concert and he was awesome!

Linda Winstead Jones said...

I could answer a few of the questions. Hey, I sold real estate in the 80s and had a kickin' suit with shoulder pads. One day I had a flat tire, and by the time I got it taken care of I was rushing to get my youngest to day care. I didn't realize until I was running out of the building that my jacket was on inside out, and the shoulder pads were flapping in the breeze. You'd think someone coulda told me.

LJ -- looking forward to PMs 70s quiz.

Jennifer Y. said...

I loved the 80s! I am so glad that I listen to 80s music and love movies still!

Jennifer Y. said...

I kept getting a failure to deliver message so I am not sure if my entry went through. It said "...does not like recipient." How sad! I tried sending it again and it came back a second time...so I tried one more time and hope it gets through. If not, I don't know what to do.

Problem Child said...

Jennifer--I'm not sure what's wrong...try sending it to a different playfriend. If it works, they'll forward it to me.

playfriend'sname
@writingplayground.com

Jennifer Y. said...

Sorry if you get more than one from me...I wasn't trying to enter but once...e-mail doesn't like me today.

Jennifer Y. said...

BTW, I now have #15 and #2 stuck in my head...it is an interesting hybrid.

Angel said...

Ooohhh, cool! I know a lot of the answers, but only because I watch a lot of E! channel. :) Love those True Hollywood stories.

I wasn't a teenager until toward the end of the 80s and my parents were more into gospel music than rock. Luckily I've made up for time since then. :)

Good luck, everyone!

Angel

Jennifer Y. said...

Between E! and VH1, I don't think the '80s will ever go away. I admit most of my knowledge comes from those channels and the 80s music stations and my siblings...I wasn't even born until the early '80s. I do have fond memories of those years though and loved the music back then and still love the movies.

Katherine Bone said...

Jennifer Y you make me feel old. LOL.

LJ, I can't get the image of you running outside with your shoulder pads flapping in the breeze. Too funny!

Kathy

Katherine Bone said...

Oops, meant to say I can't get the image out of my mind. LOL.

Kathy

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

This was fun! I didn't know a lot of the answers - perhaps I didn't take full advantage of my time in the 80s. Of course I was 4 when they started...

Instigator

Playground Monitor said...

I wasn't a teenager until toward the end of the 80s

Of course I was 4 when they started...

Well geez. Just make a person feel old. ;-)

Jennifer Y. said...

I was thinking about '80s fashion trends and remember my sister going through a Bright Neon phase...she wore neon clothes and jewelry in the late 80s. Was that an 80s thing? She also crimped her hair and had big bangs.

I have fond memories of my Jelly shoes, Banana clips, Jordache purse, and stirrup pants.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I was only 6 months old when the 80s kicked off, but all my fondest memories involve MTV, Miami Vice and big hair. I wasn't old enough to indulge in it, but my mom was known to tease, crimp and dye my hair pink when she was doing hers so I thought I was cool.

I think I got like 90% of these right. Woo hoo!

SP

Problem Child said...

In my own defense, I was only 7 when the decade began myself.

Neon--did that. Still not sure why.
Crimped my hair, too. Another bad idea. But give me a sweater dress with shoulder pads and a wide low-slung belt over a pair of black leggings and some scrunchy-topped boots and I was rockin'

Maybe next time we'll do an 80's fashion quiz...