Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Answers...

Who else has been singing 80's hits all day long? (Hair bands RULE!!)

Y'all are clever--I'll give you that--but there can be only one, you know (another 80's reference--who knows it?). It was close, I tell you...

But the answers first.


Name the Song and Artist:


1. “I don’t feel tardy.” Van Halen, "Hot For Teacher"
(I had a lot of tardiness issues in high school. Trust me--this is NOT the phrase to use when you're called on the carpet for it.)


2. “I smell like I sound.” Duran Duran, "Hungry Like the Wolf"
(I didn't actually care what Simon LeBon sounded or smelled like...he was HOT.)


3. “Do you take sugar? One lump or two?” Def Leppard, "Pour Some Sugar on Me"
(Oh, the memories...)


4. “I wanna tell her that I love her but the point is prob’ly moot.” Rick Springfield, "Jessie's Girl"
(You gotta love someone who can work the word "moot" into a rock song.)


5. “Suckin’ on chili dogs outside the Tastee Freeze.” John Cougar, "Jack and Diane" (This is a tricky question--he hadn't added Mellencamp yet.)
(I can still see the video--those creepy clapping hands.)


6. “There’s a world outside your window, and it’s a world of dread and fear.” Band Aid, "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
(Yep, my man Sting's line, in harmony with Simon LeBon. Can we say "orgasm?")


Slightly tougher questions

7. Name at least one movie starring both of the Coreys. The Lost Boys is the most famous (and best). The Coreys also starred in License to Drive and Dream A Little Dream. (They regrouped in the 90s to make Dream a Little Dream 2 and Blown Away. They shouldn't have.)

8. “I want CHARLES in charge of me.” (Bonus points for naming the actor.) Scott Baio
(I actually hated this show, but the tune was catchy and I had a small Chachi crush.)


9. Name the couple who’s Livin’ on a Prayer. Tommy and Gina
(Oooooh, we're half-way there... Sing to me Jon. I got suspended from school for you, you know.)


10. Who is “Learning about Cuba. Eating some food?” Jeff Spicoli (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)
(and everyone had to have a pair of Vanns after that.)


11. “The grass is green and the girls are pretty...” Where? Paradise City (Guns and Roses)
(I saw GNR when they opened for Motley Crue's "Girls, Girls, Girls" tour. That was before they were big, and all we wanted to know was why he had that silly rag on his head.)


12. “They call us Problem Child, We spend our lives on trial, We walk an endless mile.” Who are we? We are the Youth Gone Wild.
(My theme song...even back then.)


13. In 1982, who was Billy Idol dancing with? Himself. (The song is "Dancing With Myself")
(A little early in Billy's career for me, but an awesome song anyway. And he could do that cool thing with his lip.)


14. “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” What's the word and where is the quote from? Inconcieveable is the word; the movie is The Princess Bride.
(Possibly one of the Best. Movies. Ever.
Don't argue with me about this...just have fun storming the castle!!)

15. Gene Kelly, Olivia Newton-John and ELO. What do these three things have in common? The beyond cheesy roller-skating muscial mistake with Muses (that I LOVED when I was 7), XANADU.
(How did they ever talk Gene Kelly into that?)


16. Name at least three members of the Brat Pack. Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Molly Ringwald.
(I loved Judd best, followed by Emilio, then Rob. (Do you believe in premarital sax?) AMH was too geeky back then (but isn't he a hunk now?) and Andrew was too pretty.)


17. Name two Brat Pack movies. The Breakfast Club (5 Packers) and St. Elmo's Fire (6 Packers) . (Yes, there are plenty with 2 Packers in them, but 2 people don't make a pack.)

18. According to Howard Jones, who is to blame? No One.
(I just like the song. Especially since I spent a lot of time telling the Powers That Be that I wasn't the one to blame. Really.)


Extra super bonus point question (and possible tie-breaking question):

Explain this lyric to me…please:

“The Reflex is a lonely child, who’s waiting by the park.
The Reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark.
Watching over lucky clover, isn't that bizzare?”--Duran Duran, "The Reflex"

Many interesting answers, but none that were totally satisfactory. There was this one:

I honestly have no idea, but it is quite poetic. "...isn't that bizarre?" just about sums it all up. Perhaps the Reflex is supposed to stand for everyone...it is the lonely or isolated person, it is the person waiting for something, it is the person looking for something that it can't quite see, it is the person guarding something, etc. Figuratively, the lucky clover could be themselves...keeping guard of themselves, etc. Perhaps the word "reflex" is used because it is how we respond/react to certain situations...we isolate ourselves, we wait to see what will happen, we search for answers and things we cannot grasp or see (like what this song means...LOL), we protect ourselves, etc. We are the Reflex.

Methinks someone spent some time in either psych or lit class trying to make sense of the senseless...

Then there was Smarty Pants's smart-a**ed (but totally correct in its own way) answer:

There is no answer--every little thing the Reflex does leaves an answer with a question mark.

So that brings us to our winners:

Jennifer Y, with a stunning almost-perfect score.
Second runner up was a tie, so I flipped a coin and Meljprincess won the toss.

Congrats to everyone, and thanks for playing.

PC



6 comments:

Jennifer Y. said...

Yay! My love of the 80s (or the tv shows about the 80s) paid off. As for my reflex answer...I do indeed have a degree in Psychology...LOL.

I am not used to analyzing songs, but I once had to write a paper analyzing the lyrics of "Jack and Diane" in college for an art professor teaching a Humanities course...interesting class...not sure what the class was about though...he was a bit of an eccentric and we didn't really focus on anything.

Oooh...is a 90s quiz coming soon? I know even more about that!

Jennifer Y. said...

Oh, and umm...suspended from school for Jon Bon Jovi? I think there is a story there...hmmm.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Princess Bride was the first DVD I ever bought. Some of the best one liners ever. Of course, there is the one in the quiz, then notably -

"You fell victim to one of the clasic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly les well known is this - never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!"

"Life is pain... anyone who says differently is selling something"

"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in the world. Would be a pity to damage yours."

"Why did you not wait for me?"
"Well...you were dead."
"Death cannot stop true love."
"I shall never doubt again."

And of course...
"Mawwiage... mawwiage is what bwings us togevah today..."

I'm such a nerd.

Jennifer Y. said...

SP: I thought of all of those as well when I read the question...I love The Princess Bride...some more of my fave quotes from it are:

"When I was your age, television was called books."

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."
"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die."

I am a nerd too! LOL!

Playground Monitor said...

I DO remember The Princess Bride. I watched it with my kids though I liked it for me too.

"As you wish."

PM

Meljprincess said...

Thank you so much. Enjoyed the quiz immensely. I miss the 80's...
Congrats Jenn!