Monday, January 22, 2007

One Track Mind




I'm finding more and more that's what I have. I'll be trotting along, working on something, then DING! a reminder goes off that this other thing is waiting to be done and off I go. The problem is I'm usually totally oblivious to what I've left behind.

Take today's blog for instance. Several times on Saturday I thought, "I need to work on that. What do I want to write about?" Luckily I did actually think about a topic, planned a little what I was going to say. Sunday came, and with it the rush of cleaning the house to a sparkling shine.

Now, housecleaning is usually not that high on my priority list, but the Real Estate agent is coming for the first time today. So I enlisted the whole family and we worked hard. I even cleaned the oven, so that you can finally see through the front window (please, don't judge). So you can see why this was important enough for me to focus on.

I remember once thinking I needed to get my blog written, but the thought was quickly lost amidst dinner with the in-laws, getting ready for school the next day, and remembering that I needed to prepare the tax stuff for the accountant. So I trudged from chore to chore, completely oblivious that this important task has been relegated to the backburner.

My original intended topic for today was juggling and the things I'm learning from it in my life. I guess the universe decided to give me a hands-on lesson instead. :) My pearl of wisdom from all this? I'm learning to take my days one task at a time, because that's all I can remember.

Angel

PS Last week's winner from my Monday blog is crystalg for having to spend the holiday at work. Sorry for the delay, but I was without computer service for several days. Contact me with your snail mail address at angel@writingplayground.com .

13 comments:

Problem Child said...

Have you tried a list? :-P

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I'm especially fond of the task feature in Microsoft Outlook. I can make an e-list of everything I need to do, then I can check it off when its done. Love that.

If I don't make a list, well, it probably won't happen. My brain is in 7 different places at once lately.

SP

Angel said...

Are you being sarcastic? :)

I make lists all the time. But then I have to remember to look at them.

Katherine Bone said...

I'm good at making lists. Oh, yes! Then when I go off to do an errand, I either leave said list at home on the counter or in the car on the console. But, when it comes to really important things, things I know must be done, I'm good about checking things off. And it feels good doing it. I'm like you though, Angel, sometimes other things seem just as important. I call it puttering. And, I do it often.

Kathy

Playground Monitor said...

I'm a list-maker too. The DH keeps telling me I should use Outlook instead of Outlook Express. But it has all that "stuff" in it and to me all that "stuff" is a distraction. I'll just stick to my paper "To Do" pads.

Anyone else staple reminder notes around the handle of their purse so they won't forget something?

At any rate, Angel, I think you had good reason to be a little distracted -- new carpet, cleaning, getting ready for the real estate agent. I remember when I was going through the same thing 2 years ago. And I didn't have small children to tend to.

Good luck with your move!

PM

robynl said...

I am a list maker and love to cross out 'done' things. If I do something and have not written it down on the list I will add it and cross it off at the same time just so I see 'everything' that I have done. LOL.

Pat L. said...

That is the best way to be - one task, one day at a time; otherwise life seems to overwhelming - to me anyway.

And for the record, I purposely bought an oven WITHOUT a window because it just looks cleaner that way and I could never get it clean. It always looked like there was dirt inside the pane.

Problem Child said...

If it makes anyone feel better, I've never cleaned the window on my oven door.

Talk about something that's not even on my radar...

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Does the window get cleaned when you run the self cleaner? If not, then I've never cleaned mine either. Of course, nothing has exploded in there, that I'm aware of, but you never know...

SP

Carol M said...

Making lists is a good idea although I never do it. Of course, I forget lots of things! I would probably forget to look at the list!

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Ah, lists. The only list I can think about at the moment is the 500 emails waiting for me when I got home. I've managed to whittle that down to about 100 so far today...

We all know I am not the list maker of the group :-) I should be but...I'm not.

Instigator - who missed everyone!! Not even Mickey Mouse cured my major blog withdrawal.

catslady said...

I make lists and lose them or forget to take them with me(sigh).

Angel said...

Speaking of windows, I now have to clean all the windows because she wants me to open them when people come to view the house.
Yikes!