Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What's Cooking Wednesday



I've been looking at blog memes since I seem to be running out of clever things to blog about and came across a couple of ones that I think I can make work for Wednesdays. With any luck they'll entertain you and maybe impart a little information. First on the list is What's Cooking Wednesday.





What's cooking?









Apricot Chicken



Ingredients

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 (1 ounce) packages dry onion soup mix
1 (10 fluid ounce) bottle Russian-style salad dressing
1 cup apricot preserves

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Place the chicken pieces in a 4 quart casserole dish. Mix the soup mix, dressing and jam together, and pour over the chicken.
3.Cover dish and bake for 1 hour in preheated oven.

The meat juices, dressing, preserves and soup mix will combine to form a great sauce that's terrific served over brown or Basmati rice. Add a green vegetable and voila! Quick and easy meal that will have your guests thinking you slaved all day in the kitchen.

Try it and let me know how you like it. Better yet, do you have any easy peasy recipes to share with me? It's tough cooking for one.



PS. Andrea is blogging today at the Authorial Moms blog. Comment for another entry for her grand prize!

8 comments:

PM's Mother said...

It's even easier when you cook it in the microwave oven. Prepare the same; cover dish with waxed paper or lid; cook 15-20 minutes in MW oven. (From my Georgia Power Co. cookbook circa 1976)

Another easy one from the same cookbook:

BASIC MEAT LOAF

1 1/2 lb. ground chuck beef
2 TBSP instant minced onion
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 egg
2 TBSP catsup
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp dried thyme
11/8 tsp dry mustard
1/9 tsp paprika
More catsup for top of loaf

Mix ground chuck thoroughly with onion, crumbs, egg, catsup, milk and seasonings. Mold into rounded flat loaf in a 9 inch microwaveable pie plate. Spread catsup evenly over top of loaf. Cover with waxed paper. Place in MW oven. Cook 15-17 minutes. Let loaf stand at least 5 minutes before slicing. Yields 6 servings.

Enjoy!

PS: It's just as good the next day in a cold sandwich.

Cheryl C. said...

Sorry PM, I am at the beach and without my cookbook. I would share some of my recipes with you if I had it here - especially the Mennonite ones that are so wonderful. I love this recipe and intend to try it. Wonder if you could use other preserves, like apples or something like that instead of apricots?

Also love the meat loaf recipe. Will try it too!

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

That looks tasty, PM. I'll have to look for something to post when I get home.

Julie Miller said...

Sounds yummy (and easy!), PM. My kind of meal. And I'm always looking for something new to try with chicken. Thanks!

Katherine Bone said...

I bet that has a great sweet/sour taste. Yummy!

catslady said...

Someone gave me this recipe over a year ago but I couldn't find Russiann dressing - do you think I could substitute Cataline?

Here's an easy one.

Chicken
honey mustard
canned onion rings


Any amount will due. Just put the mustard on the chicken and the onions on the mustard and cook the chicken as usual (I use my toster oven when it's just the two of us. You can put some foil over the chicken so not to overcook the onions. Just use your own judgment and enjoy.

catslady5(at)aol.com

catslady said...

not one but two typos - sigh.

Catalina dressing
toaster

lol

Playground Monitor said...

I've seen a recipe that was identical except it called for Catalina instead of Russian. They're very similar.