Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Running out of things to say...


I have three Facebook pages (my personal one for friends and family), my public page (for everyone) and my Fan page. I have a Twitter feed, a blog on my website, and a blog here.

Honestly, I'm running out of things to talk about.

I really don't think I'm that interesting -- or at least not interesting enough to justify all these places where I'm supposed to talk about myself. There's only so much y'all really want to hear about me and my life -- really. It's just not that exciting. Sometimes I feel like I'm really grasping for something to say (and for a writer, that grasping feeling isn't fun.)

I get annoyed at people who really think that I need to see a picture of every meal they eat (an occasional amazing dish, sure. But a Starbucks bagel isn't that exciting.) I won't post pictures of my kid and I don't have any pets to do cute things that might make people go "awwww."

Counselor Shelley refuses to get on Facebook, so I had to explain it to her. (Try to explain Facebook to someone who has never even been to the site. It's fun.) Her response was that it was a narcissist's dream come true. She might be right. I guess the fact that I don't feel the need to post hourly updates about what I'm doing now (and now. And now. And now.) means I'm not a narcissist.

I love the ease of communication of social network sites. I love the info I can glean from good blog posts -- or the laughs I get from funny ones. Sometimes, though, it's overwhelming.

And then I wonder if I'm just adding to the noise. I mean, if I can't come up with anything more interesting to say than, "I'm out of jelly beans!" "There's a spider in the hallway!" or "Wow, it's warm outside," is it really all that interesting or worth your while to follow me on these sites?

The pressure to come up with witty, interesting things to say is really starting to get to me.

So if you are following me on one or more of these sites and my postings seem a little lame, I apologize. I'm working on becoming a more interesting person. I promise.

Now there's a goal: Become more interesting so my FB wall is really cool. ~snort~


2 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

Another divorced friend and I have a theory about Facebook (at least for us). We have no one to sit across the dinner table from and discuss the minutiae of the day, so we post it on Facebook. It's like we're having that dinnertime conversation with the Facebook world.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Counselor Shelley's assessment. The biggest narcissist I know rarely posts on Facebook. Too busy looking in the mirror perhaps? ~grin~

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I don't know. I think what I like about Twitter is the opportunity to get a glimpse into other people's lives. Maybe they aren't friends, but I usually know them and end up learning more through the random Twitter posts than anything else.

Insti