Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Blogger hates me

This was not the topic I planned to blog about.

Then I tried to log in to Blogger to blog.

I entered my password five different times. It wouldn't accept it. Then it started giving me a word verification along with my login info, and I swear I've never seen such difficult captchas in my life. Not only are they nonsensical words -- which are very hard to type because your fingers just don't want to do that -- they twist and color the letters to the extent that it's impossible to decipher. It took me so long to get logged in that I lost all desire to blog. By the time I landed on the Compose page, the only thing I wanted to compose was my letter to the Internet telling it to shove it someplace dark and smelly.

And I had a strong desire for wine.

I suck at technology as a whole. I admit that. I got FaceBook figured out, but Twitter still causes me problems. I refuse to even investigate Google Plus or some of those other social media sites because I have enough hassle in my life without trying to navigate another login/password combo with a capcha and a site-specific set of commands for usage.

Oh, and lets not even talk about password requirements... I have a standard set of passwords (I'm sure you do, too.) All meaningful and easy for me to remember, but nonsense to anyone else. (None of them are "password.") But that's just not good enough for some sites. They put restrictions -- must be 8 characters long, containing at least one number or special character, or no special characters, are , in some cases -- but not all -- case sensitive, etc, etc. Hell, there are sites I can't use because I can't remember my stupid password, because I had to design it to their specifications and now I can't log in. I also can't re-register because the email address already exists in their database. But the minute I try to reset the password, all those restrictions come back into play, meaning there's no way I'll remember it next time. (But yet techie types tell you not to keep a notebook of passwords. How the hell am I supposed to remember them all?)

Sometimes I think it would be easier to just become a luddite. Forswear all online socializing and move into a cave. But, at the same time, the internet has brought some really great people and opportunities into my life. I'd miss it. (I'd probably get a lot more accomplished if I lived off-line, but I'd miss it.)

I wouldn't miss the hassle of logging in, though...

PC

8 comments:

Maven Linda said...

Oh, I'm so with you. I'm looking at the verification words below and wondering how on earth, the way they're blurred and run together, I'm supposed to tell if that particular letter is an "r" or a "n." I hate Blogger. I hate Facebook, and the presumption that they know best what posts I want to read. They're invariably wrong.

And I'm taking a step back from all-connection, all-the-time. I'm doing away with e-mail on my phone. I'm tired of being in constant contact.

My current e-mail password has 13 characters in it. Yes, 13. It has upper-case letters, it has lower-case letters. It had underlines, it has dashes, and it has numbers. Strangely, I remember it; it's the different variations that escape me. So -- sorry, techies -- I keep them written down. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to communicate . . . but, you know, that might not be such a bad thing.

PC's Mom said...

I still have an old fashion Rolodex and that's where I keep my passwords. To make it even easier for me, and anyone who wants to break into my house and use my computer, I have colored the top of those cards with a red Sharpie.

I hope the thief finds some great crochet patterns they can use to make Christmas presents.

As for verification words, I find it helps to enlarge the words by using [Control +].

Since Facebook has decided to know which posts are important to me and refuse to let me set "resent", I'm going to Facebook less and less.

Playground Monitor said...

I hate the new two-word captchas. I'm beginning to hate Blogger. What began as a simple blogging tool has evolved into a mess.

I repeat -- If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

catslady said...

I so agree with you and going to stop at that because my blood pressure goes up just thinking about it!

linda winstead jones said...

When I tried to check out the blog this morning, the page wasn't found. Apparently blogger was having a bad morning.

I have a dumb phone, and I like it. No e-mail, I can't go online with it, and texting is a chore because I have no keypad other than the one with numbers. You know, like a PHONE. I don't want to check e-mail while I'm sitting in the doctor's office, or shopping, or on the road.

And like everyone else, I wish Facebook would stop changing every three months or so. I'm an old dog. I CAN learn new tricks but I don't necessarily WANT to. So there.

LJ

PM's Mother said...

I don't like the new Facebook format -- I'll stay "as is" for as long as they let me and then I just may drop out of Facebook. Also, I do not like the two verfication works on this blog. They are hard to read and why 2 instead of just one? Done bitchin'

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I'm right there with you! How the *mumble, grumble* am I supposed to remember the tricked out password (i.e. 8 characters long with 1 upper case, 1 lower case, 1 number and 1 special character) for a website that I only access once or twice a year? A YEAR? I can't remember what color panties I'm wearing today and they expect me to remember that? I don't think so.

Insti

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I'm right there with you! How the *mumble, grumble* am I supposed to remember the tricked out password (i.e. 8 characters long with 1 upper case, 1 lower case, 1 number and 1 special character) for a website that I only access once or twice a year? A YEAR? I can't remember what color panties I'm wearing today and they expect me to remember that? I don't think so.

Insti