Tuesday, May 01, 2007

T minus 3 and counting

Three days until the luncheon. Yes, I know the luncheon itself isn’t until Saturday, but for me (and a few lucky suck—ahem, dearest friends) the luncheon will start bright and early Friday morning as we schlep several hundred books, several thousand bookmarks, seven boxes of assorted goodies like pens and notepads, fifteen gift baskets, twenty-five centerpieces, and the rest of the stuff it takes to make a luncheon a success to downtown Huntsville.

Oh, and my luggage too.

Not to jinx it, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a fabu event. At least I hope so.

Yeah, I know I piss and moan about it, but planning the luncheon is actually something I enjoy. It’s a very fun event, and folks seem to really have a good time. And, yes, it is a lot of work, but if I weren’t such an anal-retentive control freak, I could probably delegate some of the chores and it wouldn’t all be me. I take a lot of pride in an event that comes together well, and I like watching people have a good time at a function I put together. Plus, I love a girlie event where everyone dresses up and has a nice lunch (of course, ANY meal that I don’t have to cook, is brought to me on a real plate in a place without a PlayPlace attached is a big-girl event indeed.)

So, I’m looking forward to Saturday. We have a good crowd, a fantastic speaker, and some really great authors coming. I’ll get to see old friends and make some new ones. There are several folks I’ll meet for the first time in real life (Hi, Jen!), and I’ll get to see my CP at her first event as a published author (even if her book isn’t out just yet). Things are in place—just cross your fingers nothing goes horribly wrong between now and 3 pm Saturday. (And that the flu doesn’t keep several of the authors home like it did last year.)

But this will be a bittersweet event for me as I’m passing the luncheon supply boxes off to another member and letting her take over for next year. I’ll still have my fingers in the mix—I’m still the Events Chair, and I’m a control freak, remember? Kathy will probably be begging me to butt out. I know she’ll do a great job (and I’m harboring the not-so-secret hope that I might sell and therefore be too busy to butt in too much).

I still have some last minute shopping to do, and the To Do lists (you knew there would be at least one, right?) are amazingly detailed and include not only what needs to be done, but when.

(Now I can cross “Blog Entry” off my list and move on to the next thing on my list—calling in the head count to the caterer and finalizing the menu.)

Everyone knows what I’ll be doing this week and this weekend. Thank goodness DG is the Best Ever Hubby and doesn’t bat an eye at the organized chaos that is life-before-luncheon AND the fact he gets to be single dad all weekend.* I think he’s looking forward to life going back to normal next week (when all the books, bookmarks, and other goodies will be out of the office. And the garage. And the bedroom. And the hallway.)

What are you looking forward to?

PC (which stands for Party Controller this week)

*And this weekend is the Daisy Girl Scout sing-a-long. He’s really looking forward to that! (snicker)

13 comments:

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Daisy Girl Scout sing-a-long? He really is a saint ;-D

This luncheon is going to be fantastic!! I can't wait until Friday.

Instigator

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to coming to the Luncheon, of course. :-)

Thanks for all of your hard work on this, PC. I know it's going to rock.

Note to self--get basket together.

Linda Winstead Jones said...

I'm looking forward to the luncheon, too, and to having Lori come in for a few days (she arrives tomorrow). I'm looking forward to shopping for shoes on Friday!

And beyond this week, I'm looking forward to finishing the book in progress and getting it out of here so I can go on vacation with all the kids and grandkids in June.

Lots to look forward to, so life is good. :-)

LJ

Maven Linda said...

I'm looking forward to the luncheon, to seeing Karen Robards again, and to our Great Shoe Shopping Extravaganza. I'm always afraid that this year the shoes won't be as great as they've been in past years. I want a pair of red sequined Yellow Boxes!

Yippee! We have an almost-sold out crowd -- and it may well be sold out by Friday, since we need only THREE people to make it official. Kim, you've outdone yourself this year.

The verification word is wazbwle. The odds are, Blogger won't take their own verification word and will make me type another one. I hate Blogger, in case I haven't mentioned that in the past day or so.

PS: No, Blogger didn't take its own word. The new veri word is ktfnki.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I'm poised - thinking about what I will eat today, that its 10 minutes until agent appts. open up, and making a list of everything I need to pack Thursday night since I won't come home once I leave Friday morning.

Here's fingers crossed for everyone getting their agent/editor of choice.

Back to making my list. 9 minutes to go. :)

This luncheon is going to rock!

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Well, before the server went down, I snagged my agent of choice! Woo hoo!

Playground Monitor said...

Of course I'm looking forward to the luncheon. But I'm also looking forward to my friend Annie coming to visit and attending the luncheon with me! I haven't seen her in a year so it'll be good catching up in person as opposed to email.

My husband is also looking forward to getting rid of the boxes of books in our garage. Though he hasn't said anything, I see him eyeing the stack of boxes.

Additionally, I'm looking forward to meeting some friends at the Senior Expo in about half an hour. It's one big freebie giveaway including medical tests.

Just what does the "T" in T minus 3 and counting" stand for anyway?

PM

Problem Child said...

You know, I'm not sure what the "T" stands for. I've just heard it when the space shuttle lifts off. Maybe it's for "takeoff?"

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to so many things this weekend: getting to see my fabu CP who is Ms. Luncheon herself/PC; my very first event as an author (even though the book won't come out until October; my very first HOD luncheon; getting to visit with a ll the Playfriends again--they were all so gracious in Atlanta at RWA; and, oh yes--since DH will be with me--I'm looking forward to hotel sex:-)

PCCP

Problem Child said...

TMI, my beloved CP, TMI

Anonymous said...

Sorry--but it's your fault for asking such a suggestive question(LOL)

PCCP

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Well, I'm staying with Angel and Instigator, so I'll have to settle for good food and schooze time with my favorite people. :)

Katherine Bone said...

Still reeling. I finally get up the nerve to sign up for appointments and I forget to do it in time. I also had a dream about taking over the luncheon last night. Let's just say this day has been very confusing.

Dont' worry, I'll need you, PC. Don't plan on disappearing any time soon. You're going to be a tough act to follow! That's why I have every confidence that this luncheon is going to be fabo and no doubt that I'll need your guidance next year.

You rock!

Kathy
wd. verification 'yeurbf'