Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Putting some fun in fuctional


When we moved into our new house last year, we got new living room furniture as well. As one does when one gets new furniture, I’ve been a bit anal about not-messing-up-the-new-furniture. No flopping onto the couch, no shoes on any of it, no one under the age of 20 allowed food or drink near it.

And coasters. I’m now a coaster fanatic. Monica from Friends would get tired of me nagging about coaster usage. But coasters, of course, aren’t really that exciting. They’re functional, but rarely fun.

Until now. (hee hee)

At Christmas, I was at a shop near my in-laws’ where they sell all kinds of cute things (including my frog shoes). I found a whole rack of nifty coasters with cute sayings, cool pictures, etc. They were all sold separately, so you could have a stack of coasters on the table where no two were alike. This tickled me for some reason, and I now have a set of coasters that makes me smile (and helps encourage others to use them without me going all Monica on them.).

And yes, I have the ubiquitous Scotland souvenir – a coaster showing a kilt being blown up to expose a very nice butt.

But I love quotes, so my new coaster collection says…

“My idea of camping is when room service is late.”

“Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history… with the possible exception of tequila.” – Mitch Ratliffe

“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.” – Joss Whedon

and

“There are no good girls gone wrong. There are only bad girls found out.” – Mae West

All the quotes “speak” to me in some way, making a collection of useful items much more personalized. I’ve been out on the internet looking for a company who’ll make individual coasters, but CafePress hasn’t really conquered that one yet. But when they do, I’ll be there and my coaster collection will grow exponentially.

If you could put a quote on a coaster that really reflected you, what would it be?

PC

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

"I'm Southern and I know neurotic behavior" - Faye Dunaway. Southerners seems to take great pride in their crazy relatives. I love that! And, as one author said, every Southerner has one book in them. Guess that's why we all like to write!

Playground Monitor said...

That's easy!

Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Anonymous said...

Three come to mind:
1. No good deed goes unpunished.
2. Wine is the answer, now what was the question?
3 Chocolate is a food group

PC's Mom

PM's Mother said...

RULES OF LIFE:
SHARE,
OBEY,
BE KIND,
LISTEN,
WASH,
FLOSS,
FLUSH,
RECYCLE
and
CALL YOUR MOTHER

Angel said...

Sorry! Blogger wouldn't let me play today.

"Don't disturb me. I'm disturbed enough already."

Angel

Anonymous said...

This one describes me:
"domestically disabled"

LouAnn

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

My favorites, aside from "Blogger Sucks!" are:

- "Be just and fear not." RHPS
- "Who knows where thoughts come from? They just appear." Empire Records
- "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." anonymous

Most my favorites are stupid. What does the say about me? Don't answer that.