Monday, October 16, 2006

A Toast!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In case you haven't already heard, next month will bring the one year BIRTHDAY for the Playground and this blog! We're extremely excited and have lots of surprises upcoming in November.

But this past weekend, the Playfriends celebrated a different birthday. Our first birthday as actual Playfriends. You see, at our chapter's annual retreat this time last year, we officially brainstormed and set the Writing Playground into motion. We created a place to play, to laugh, to learn, to commiserate... for each other, but with the hope of doing the same for other writers and readers like y'all. The results have surpassed our every expectation.

So we couldn't let this weekend pass without a private celebration between the Playfriends (with a little help from the Mavens). Special doesn't begin to describe the moment—being surrounded by other writers, bonded by a common goal, growing in confidence, and love (or sometimes hate) for the process of writing.

I sincerely hope that you too have found a place of such camaraderie and support, whether from a local RWA chapter, writing or reading group, critique partner, or online group. Whether you have or haven't, you are always welcome to experience it here on the Playground. We've always got an empty swing waiting.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Speaking of playground equipment, the Playfriends and Mavens created a new drink in honor of our toast this weekend. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did. (We may have enjoyed it a little too much... especially on top of the marguerites and daiquiris!)

We've aptly dubbed it... The Teeter-Totter.

In a champagne flute, pour roughly half and half:
Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante Champagne
Archer Farms Sparkling Green Apple beverage

Toast and enjoy!!!

So tell us, what's your favorite celebration drink of choice? If you'd like to see more pictures of us at the retreat this weekend, check it out in the Playground Yearbook.


Angel (dreading getting back into the daily grind today)

PS-The above wine glass charm was made by our very own Playground Monitor! Not only is she a great writer, she creates the most beautiful book thongs and beaded accessories.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Early happy birthday to the blog :o)
Love the wine charm.
Favorite celebration drink of choice, well after a friend's wedding in July, I finally like champagne. But usually its a Mike's Hard Lemonade or some Finlandia with 7up. yum

Maureen said...

Congratulations on your anniversary.

Problem Child said...

Mike's Hard Lemonade...yum. My favorite is the Hard Cranberry.

Fabu weekend, all the way around.

Coming back to real life is not fun.

Playground Monitor said...

Alas, I have to steer clear of the hard stuff *sniff* but the sparkling cider is actually pretty good. And you get to watch the rest of the crowd get plastered and then you have lots of blackmail material. *veg*

Yeah... real life ain't fun, especially when it's raining on Monday morning.

Carol M said...

Congrats on your anniversary!

On occasion I will drink a little pink wine. Mostly I'm a coffee drinker.

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

It was a good weekend wasn't it? :-)

Coming back to real life sucks. Not only are both the girls at work with me today but it's rainy and yucky too. I also have a homework assignment I really need to be working on - of course the fact that I'm still exhausted could become an issue :-)

Instigator

Katherine Bone said...

You know I'm proud of you guys! Congratulations on designing such a great playground for all of us 'kids' to come play in. Also, for encouraging others, like myself, and for letting me hop on the merry-go-round.

Great weekend! Recess wore me out, gang. I don't have to mention how hard I laughed Saturday night after sampling 'daquiritas'. LOL.

A fabu weekend with great friends! Priceless!

Kathy

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Real life isn't fun. I want to go back to our B&B and do it again. Right now. I got home to find my dog shredded the pillow we'd put in the doghouse so it looks like it snowed in my backyard. I found out my voice recorder doesn't come with the cable to hook to the computer, I have to buy that seperately. I also forgot today was Boss's Day and I was supposed to meet everyone for breakfast until I went all the way to work and had to turn around and go back. Didn't have an umbrella, of course.

Oh yeah, and I'm supposed to start working on my new book today. ARGH!

I need another teeter-totter! Happy Anniversary to us, though!

SP

catslady said...

Congratulations.

Champagne is great but I've learned to never have any if I've been drinking anything else!

Black Russians or cabernet sauvignon are my usual favorites.