Friday, October 13, 2006

Retreat!





Re-treat  /ri-trit/ Pronunciation Key - [ri-treet]

noun - 1. the forced or strategic withdrawal of an army or an armed force before an enemy, or the withdrawing of a naval force from action; 2. the act of withdrawing, as into safety or privacy; retirement; seclusion; 3. a place of refuge, seclusion, or privacy; 4. an asylum, as for the insane

–verb (used without object) - 1. to withdraw, retire, or draw back, esp. for shelter or seclusion; 2. to make a retreat; 3. to slope backward; recede

I am very pleased to announce that today, the Playfriends are retreating. I included the Webster’s online definitions of the word ‘retreat’ because we will be doing so on several different levels. First and foremost, we are attending a ‘retreat’ in the sense of place of refuge and seclusion. Some could say asylum, but we’ll just stick with refuge and seclusion. :) The cool, foggy mountains of Tennessee with the changing fall colors is just the place for it. Our RWA chapter HOD is gathering this weekend for our annual trip away.

Many of us are also retreating, in the sense of making a retreat. I can hear the voices of Monty Python in my head as they scream "RUN AWAY" and the livestock rains down on their heads.


Yeah, that’s what we’re really doing. Running away from our lives for a few days. No husbands, kids, dishwashing, day jobs, or home renovations. No dogs, cats, or even fish to care for. Just our very own selves, in comfy clothes, sans makeup, eating junk food.

Of course, there will be writing. Some of us take laptops and legal pads to steal away moments of peace and inspiration to write. Others gather in groups for brainstorming sessions. There will be craft discussion and mentoring. There will, of course, be good food and margaritas. There will even be massages and belly dancing. My kind of retreat. Even if someone doesn’t participate in the physical act of working on their writing, there is always the well to fill. Fun, laughter, relaxation – it all lends to recharging those creative batteries.

Myself, I’m looking forward to Playfriend time. Last month, our traditional few hours of plotting and brainstorming were usurped by our day-long chapter workshop. We fit in a few dinners and field trips to make up for it, but I’m still anxious for our time. I’ve got a digital voice recorder and a new book to plot. This is just what I need to get the new story rolling. I’d like to think that several great books have been plotted when we got together. Heck, my last book came out of a late night session at the Krispy Kreme after a chick flick. Certainly greatness can appear after a lounging weekend at a B&B.

By mid-afternoon, the Playfriends will have loaded into their vehicles of choice and hit the road. That doesn’t mean you can slack off, though! If you’re new to the Playground, know that we never truly leave our home unattended. We leave it in the hands of our honorary playfriends – ahem – that’s you! So, keep the blog active this weekend by commenting.

Riddle me this, Batman…

When the world gets to be too much for you, how do you retreat? Bubble bath? A good book? A weekend away? Chocolate overload? Share your favorite tips for keeping down stress and keeping up the creative juices.

Also, today is Friday the 13th. (cue scary music) Whether or not you're superstitious, almost everyone has a great Friday the 13th story. Share yours!

One commenter will be selected to win a fabulous prize! Um…let’s see…in the spirit of Friday the 13th and the Paranormal Pleasures Contest, one commenter will win a copy of a new Silhouette Nocturne – Eternally by Maureen Child.


And if you haven’t entered the Paranormal Pleasures Contest yet, do it now! Time is running out for this great prize.

See you all Sunday night!
SP

11 comments:

Angel said...

As a teenager, my favorite time of year was the spring, because we "retreated" with our church youth group to Mentone, AL. Our youth leaders were this cool, younger couple who planned lots of fun activities and memorable moments. Some of my closest relationships formed from those retreats, including my relationship with my husband.

How cool was it to become an adult and find another group of close friends to "retreat" with?!?

I'm looking forward to getting away this weekend. My writing process has stalled under the pressure of preparing our home for sale. Usually weekends are a time when I get a lot of writing done, which really kick-starts my writing week, but weekends lately have been devoted to whatever project is most urgent. Thus, a lull in production. :)

Ah, a weekend with no walls to paint, rooms to declutter, or boxes to pack. Heaven!!!

Sorry, I honestly don't have a Friday the 13th story. I love horror movies and enjoy a good thrill vicariously, but if something scary actually happened to me, I'd probably totally freak! Psych ward, here I come!

Angel

Playground Monitor said...

I usually just read a book to retreat. I get lost in the story and forget everything else.

My only Friday the 13th story is that we got our older cat on Friday, August 13, 1993. We told the boys they could pick out a name and their first suggestions were Freddy and Jason. IT WAS A GIRL CAT! Finally we settled on Spook. She's still with us 13 years later but she's slowed down a lot and doesn't always find the litter box to do #2. Ugh.

PM

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I never knew until the last year or so (reading the DiVinci Code, I think) about the origins of Friday the 13th and the assassination of the Knights Templar. As a kid, it was more about black cats and bad luck than anything. 13 has always been my lucky number. Never used it for a powerball, but I haven't had bad luck because of it yet.

SP

Problem Child said...

I'm ready to go! Bags packed. Child safely stowed away :-)

A few errands to run and I'll be ready to run away from home.

Maybe we can join the circus!

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Sounds good to me. As long as I don't end up in the freaky side show...

SP

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I'm almost ready. WooHoo! I've got a couple stops to make before dropping the girls off and hitting the road.

I'm getting very excited! I just hope everything runs smoothly. That's the only bad part of being in charge of this thing. It wasn't very labor intesive but I've got everyone's good time resting on my shoulders :-)

Instigator

Anonymous said...

I don't have a Friday the 13th story, but do want to wish you all a great trip. I'm envious! Maybe next year. :::sigh::: And Instigator, I am *sure* that you have done a wonderful job and that everyone will have a fabu time. Have a margarita for me. Each one of you. :-)

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

If you insist, Rhonda. :)
SP

Jennifer Y. said...

I don't have a Friday the 13th story.

Hope you have a great time!

Carol M said...

I don't have a Friday the 13th story either. To me it's just like any other day.

My only retreat is in reading.

I hope you all have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Have a great time :o)

I think the only friday the 13th story I have is from high school, I fell down the stairs in a skirt and heels at the big morning break when the staircase and cafeteria around it were crowded. So not fun.

My retreat, well either I put on an old movie (i love the Cary Grant/Doris Day/Rock Hudson ones) or lock myself away with a book and a chocolate bar *g*