Thursday, October 19, 2006

I want to say a huge THANK YOU to Michelle for being a guest blogger with us yesterday! We really enjoyed having you on the playground and hope you'll pop in for some down time on the swing set again soon.
You know, there's a lot about becoming published that scares the bejebbers out of me. But nothing puts the fear in me quite like the thought of missing a deadline. And being the procrastinator that I am, it's probably not an unfounded fear. Well, it is in the fact that given a situation where my editor is waiting for my book and turning it in late means more work for her, a mark on my reputation and a point against her ability to trust me, then I'll be up around the clock in order to accomplish my goal no matter what.
But as an unpublished author there isn't the incentive of professional reputation and money on the line. It's just my own personal sense of accomplishment and ability.
And wouldn't you know that today I'm going to miss a self imposed deadline (really a playfriend imposed but an extremely necessary one). There are excuses - and some valid ones at that - but it doesn't matter. I'm disappointed in myself.
Life is a series of choices. No one said they'd be easy. In fact, as someone else more wise than I once said they're usually between crappy and crappier. At the moment I'm making the right choice but that doesn't do much for the disappointment.
How do you make the difficult decisions?
Instigator

6 comments:

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

You just have to make the decision that feels right to you. It might not make everyone happy, yourself included, but you can't regret your choice. Can't make deadline A? Just set a new deadline and work to that. At this point there are no reputations at risk, so enjoy the flexibility.

Last night, for example, I had the choice of going to the gym or sitting on PCs couch talking and eating mexican food. I made the choice I needed to make (yum) and therefore, I am going to the gym at lunch today. Maybe. :)

SP

Problem Child said...

Some decisions are made for you.

Sick children (especially the small sick ones) have to take priority over any Playfriend-controlled deadline. I can't say what I'd do if the deadline was editor created because I've never been in that situation. There are plenty of pubbed authors who can probably answer that question because they've been in the situation.

Do what you can...just know that if you come hang out at my house, you may never get to leave...

Playground Monitor said...

Funny you should mention this because last night I was working on my blog for next week (cuz I'm gonna be on a road trip with my sister) and one of my points was that "crap happens" and you just have to deal with it the best you can.

I'd love to hear from the pubbed authors about how they deal with emergencies when they have a deadline.

PM

P.S. Yesterday's treasure hunt winners are posted at the beginning of yesterday's blog. Congrats to the winners!

Carol M said...

Congrats Stacy and Bamabelle!

Katherine Bone said...

Everyone knows how hard you work, Instigator. Juggling the many things you do, there are bound to be things that pop up, a new string of responsibilities, or much needed down time to compensate for all that expended energy. Coming from someone who knows, deadlines are good at this point, but pointless if you can't function well enough to meet them. Just my .2.

Kathy

Playground Monitor said...

Boy... we must all be pooped after such a hard day of playing yesterday. Of course, the rain and gloom don't help either. I've battled a sinus headache for 3 days now. It can leave any time now.