Tuesday, October 03, 2006

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, distract them with free books!

Angel's post was well-timed. I'm starting this week way behind already. Last week started out great--then I had to deal with family drama, followed by 3 days in bed with the creeping crud. As I told Angel yesterday, we do the best we can in the time we have with the resources we have. That's all anyone can ask of us and all we can ask of ourselves.

That said, I'm still behind on just about everything. So instead of killing myself to create some witty, fabulous blog post, I'm going to do the best I can do in the time I have with the resources I have. And thankfully, a resource arrived in my mailbox today.

Like books? Want some free ones? The Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence contest is looking for judges. There's no special training or skills required--just a love of romance. (And they want READERS, not writers, to judge, so spread the word to your friends).

Here's how it works:

You let the contest coordinator know how many books you'd like to read and in what categories. She mails the books to you around the end of this month. You read the books, score them on a scale of 1-10, and email the scores back by February 14. You get to keep the books you judge as a thank you.

It's a great way to be introduced to some new (to you) authors. (I have to admit, my mom is a judge in this contest and I get to read the books when it's all over. I've found some really great authors this way. Mom, have you signed up yet?)

So if you love romance and want to judge, send an email to echolsjenn@yahoo.com. Let her know your name, snail and e -mail addresses, the number of books you'd be willing to read, and the categories you prefer. She can also answer any questions you might have.

Categories are:
Short Contemporary (Under 70,000 Words)
Long Contemporary (Over 70,000 Words)
Contemporary Single Title
Historical
Single Title Romantic Suspense
Series Romantic Suspense
Paranormal/Fantasy/ Futuristic/Time Travel
Young Adult (Teen)
Inspirational
Novella

Be sure to tell Jennifer that we sent you!

Don't forget that you can still enter to get the Pass it On copy of Stephanie Bond's Kill the Competition. Let me know by 7pm tonight.

So lots of free books. Is there anything better?

Happy Reading,

PC

Who still has not finished Inferno. Or even started it for that matter. Sigh.

3 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

I used to judge for a reader-judged contest in Texas. I loved getting the free books and discovered some new authors and felt like I was making my contribution to the writing world as well.

AND I could puff out my chest and say "I was a contest judge." :grin:

PM

Anonymous said...

I assumed they would contact me to judge again this year, but I'll contact them just in case.

Free books are a wonderful perk and some are autographed!

Jennifer Y. said...

I just e-mailed her...haven't heard back, but thanks for letting me know about this.