Sunday, October 01, 2006

That's Just Life!



A couple of the Playfriend's went on a mini-research field trip this past weekend. Not only was it fun, but it was relaxing. After all I've had on my To Do list lately, that's a good thing.

Our discussions, while always enjoyable, were particularly encouraging to me this time. As we discussed some issues (I'm afraid I once again dominated the dinner conversation quite a bit), it finally started to sink in that I'm not being lazy.

From my teenage years on this has been an issue for me, and though I 'know' I'm not lazy, I don't always 'KNOW' I'm not lazy. At least, not in the ways that count.

I haven't made any progress on my current work-in-progress revision, because life is very complicated at the moment, especially with home improvements underway to get our home ready to sell. I thought life was complicated before; I didn't know the half of it.

I have been concerned about my lack of progress, but have no clue what to do about it, because there are only so many hours in the day and so much brainpower to expend.

As an unpubbed author, why do I care? Well, I can't sell what editors don't see. And I began writing with the intent to publish, thus consistently trying to be have in a professional manner. I DO NOT EVER want to be that author that can't make a deadline. And I try, but let's face facts—I'm not being paid to write, while we stand to make a pretty penny in profits from our home sale. And writing will still be here when life slows down some.

That said, I'm not chunking my wip altogether. My goal this week is to write a synopsis. A small, but hopefully doable goal. Small steps add up to completed projects!

So to start this week off right, I want to offer you this bit of encouragement: When life gets complicated, don't give up; Just do the best you can. Balance is the key. (I'll remind you of this if you'll remind me of it too!)

You can do it! I know you can. Just believe in yourself and surround yourself with others who believe in you too.

Angel

7 comments:

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Even when you are getting paid to write, times will come that you have to set the writing aside and say "I have to deal with something else right now." Death, illness, major life changes...all of that zaps creativity. I know when I was struggling with my day job last year, it was so hard to write. Its nearly impossible to block out all the negativity and turn on the creative juice. It doesn't always work.

No one has ever failed who honestly did the best they can. It might take longer and their goals might change along the way, but you will be proud of yourself for giving everything you could.

On a side note, DB was a little irritated that I didn't come home with anything after our excursion. Big baby...

SP

Playground Monitor said...

new rule is if I don't love it or use it, it's gone

Can you get my DH to embrace this rule? "But it might be valuable" or "It's an antique," he says. It's only valuable if someone's willing to pay you something for it.

I need to do some more decluttering too -- in my kitchen. I have entirely too many plastic bowls. I should toss anything I haven't used in a year. And if I realize I need it come Thanksgiving, there's a Walmart nearby. :grin:

Life happens and gets in the way of writing. I have one friend who had to evacuate from the Keys 4 times during 2004 while she was on deadline.

You do the best you can and that's all anyone can ask.

Good luck with your move.

Problem Child said...

To quote John Lennon--"Life is what happends while you're busy making other plans."

You do the best you can in the time you have with the resources you have. Neither is unlimited.

PC

Angel said...

Maven LH: Do you know a doctor who offers those "guiltectomies"?

Chalk it up to carrying guilt for as far back as I can remember! :)

SP: Tell DB that's what he gets for claiming to not be interested. Maybe next time he'll be more enthusiastic. :) I know my husband was.

Angel

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I tried to post earlier today but blogger wouldn't let it through....let's try again.

I'm glad that we could help, Angel! Cut yourself some slack :-) You've got a lot going on right now!

As for the field trip...DH was pretty happy - after he woke up ;-D Liked the website y'all told me about too.

Instigator

Problem Child said...

Angel, Instigator, SP: I double-dog-dare you to tell the kind folks out there exactly where you went on your little field trip...

PC

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Ah shucks. That comment came in too late to respond with an audience. Dang ;-D

Instigator