Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Y'all know I love a list.

Making a list helps me feel like I've got a grip on what I have to do. It makes it seem manageable. Regardless of the length of the list, the fact it's in a nicely organized format makes me feel like I've got it under control.

And I love the feeling of crossing things off my list. The sense of accomplishment makes me smile. It doesn't matter how small the item on the list was, it's the fact I have crossed it off (which I always do with a flourish!) that makes me smile.

And there's nothing quite like the feeling of crossing the last item off a list. Not only have I accomplished all the little goals, I've accomplished the big, overall goal. You have to understand that my lists are extensive, multi-page events. There are often sub-lists or even sub-sub lists.

Yesterday, I spent all day working my way through a list. And I finished it!
Today I have another list to work my through. I doubt I'll get this one completely finished, though, because there's one item on my list that could take much longer than expected: a trip to the pool with AC.

With the book finally in, I've planned a little fun time with AC. She's been a real trooper this summer putting up with me and my characters. And yes, I've added it to my list of things to do.

I know I'm more likely to spend too much time worrying about what needs to be done that I forget about the things I want to do. I want to spend time with my kid. So I add it to my list. It's just as important as going to the dry cleaners or picking up a light bulb for the fish tank. Actually, it's even more important.

Making a list allows me to prioritize. If I have six errands to run, I list them in the order they should be done. Since my kid is a priority, I'm adding her to my list today and moving her right to the top.

What does your to-do list look like today?

PC



5 comments:

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Hmm... today? What I need to do vs. what actually willl happen - let's just go with the week.

I need to go by the grocery store for a few things, and while I'm there, get a prescription filled.

I need to call the dr. and setup another appt.

I need to take my two formals from RWA to the dry cleaners so I can return the one I borrowed to Maven LJ.

I need to weed my flowerbeds before the HOA slaps me down again.

I need to mail a check to my termite company.

I need to look into the cost of installing laminate floors in the bedroom and possibly the landing and stairs. DB's allergist says he has severe dust allergies and shouldn't sleep in a room with carpet. Pity insurance doesn't cover that.

I need to go by the bank and deposit the horde of checks in my purse.

Gonna stop before I get depressed. I love my To-Do-List app on my iphone for this stuff, though.

Playground Monitor said...

Lists and a daytimer - without them nothing would get done because I can't remember sh*t these days.

Today?

Visit my therapist. Some folks wouldn't admit publicly to that. But I'm not ashamamed of it.

Stop by the grocery store for a couple things I forgot during my visit without a list two days ago.

Finish reading a workbook for a class I'm taking this weekend. You'll read more about that tomorrow.

And then I get to chill -- for the next three days because it's required for this class. You'll understand tomorrow. I like when my to-do list says "Rest. Relax. Stay away from negative."

Cheryl said...

I keep lists too. But today is my day off. I am taking a break from doing all those things that keep screaming at me from the lists on my desk. I guess I have a "Fun" list in my head for today: lounge at the pool; get dressed and go to lunch with my close friends; go shopping for absolutely nothing; and then inform husband there is nothing in the oven for dinner, so stop looking.

robertsonreads said...

Move items from closet to another storage space, thank goodness for co-worker who has volunteered to help.

Turn in timesheet, so that I can get paid next week.

Put books on Amazon & Half.com for the school.

Pick up in my office while I have the time available.

Continue to follow up on email during this time.

And any other miscellaneous items that crop up during the day.

Sometimes I will make list both for personal and work related if I know it is going to be a very busy day.

Angel said...

Hmm... I started with work. Yes, I list my outside job on my To Do list. Work 8-2. Luckily, I now get to check that off. :)

Pick up my car from the mechanic. Got out for only $239, which I consider a blessing.

Have a resume client appointment still this afternoon. And need to order some books for another client. Answer emails.

Then I'm done. Yay! I'll probably pile up in my bed with the novella I'm revising after dinner with my 2 favorite guys (hubby and Little Man).

Yay, me.

Angel