Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Under a screaming deadline...

Well, something is screaming... it could be me, of course.

Deadline is Friday, and Friday is fast approaching and no, I'm not done. I've never had a book run this close to the wire and I'm not liking the feeling.

I was the one in college who wrote papers long before they were due and slept the sleep of the righteous the night before. (Only once did I have to pull an all-nighter to get a paper done and that was only because it was a group project and the rest of the group waited until the last minute. I was not a happy camper.)

But some books just don't come easy, and this one has been a Problem Child like the likes I've never seen before. Will I get it done? Yes, because I've already had one extension of my deadline and I'm not asking for another. If it kills me, I will finish.

But it means this blog post is short, and the list of things I have to do once I turn in the book is getting long. (Guest blogs that need to be written, a newsletter that needs to go out, pictures from the RWA conference to get uploaded, websites to update... sigh.) What I need now is a list of rewards.

First on my list is a trip to see the new Harry Potter movie.* Help me out and give me something to look forward to as this deadline deadens my mind...

PC

*AC is away at camp, so seeing the HP movie hasn't been an issue yet. Before she left, she came into my room asking how the book was coming along, was I going to get it finished, etc. I felt kinda bad that my deadline stress was affecting my child, so I told her it was coming right along and would be finished soon. She seemed happy. Later on, I find out that her concern was strictly due to the fact that DG told her we would all go see the HP movie together -- after my book was done...

7 comments:

LA said...

Ah yes....we all need a "carrot" sometimes!!!! Just get it done and out of your way. I'm sending positive vibes......

Playground Monitor said...

You get to have breakfast with all of us Playfriends in another 3 1/2 weeks. Heck, we can go out to McDonald's one day next week and get them to put a candle in the middle of an apple pie to celebrate the book's completion.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Fight through it. You can do it. May just have to unplug from your distractions.

robertsonreads said...

Good luck with completing your book! How about a nice mani/pedi when you get through? Sounds wonderful to me!

Cheryl said...

You'll make it! All of your books turn out wonderfully and this one will be extra special. Sending you good thoughts!!!!!

Angel said...

Hmmm... I think a nice day at the spa and the chance to READ a book instead of write one. :)

Keep up the good work!

Angel

Problem Child said...

Good ideas... all of them. Hey DG, you reading this?