Thursday, July 28, 2011

Free Time...Uh, Oh

We've had a rash of turning in books this week on the Playground. I just finished my extremely extensive revisions for my Feb Blaze - Bring It On. The book is so much better, but I had to turn them around so fast that I'm brain dead. Or so I thought.

My plan was to take it easy this week. I'm waiting on feedback from my wonderful editor on my next proposal (my April Blaze - Rub It In) and it isn't due until the end of Sept. so I have a little down time. I could do laundry but my wonderful husband Zilla has actually been keeping up with it for me lately. I could do the major overhaul my landscaping needs but it's too damn hot out. I could clean my desk off but what fun is that?

Do you know what I've done? Think about my next book. I promised myself I wouldn't write a single word for the rest of the week. I have a feeling I'm going to cave tomorrow. I just can't help it. I've filled my time with mindless games that are quickly losing their appeal in favor of something that uses brainpower. I'm itching to dig into what comes next. I think maybe I need to take a course on relaxation and learning to make the most of my down time.

Do you have trouble relaxing? Is taking time off difficult for you to do? Do you find that even on vacation you set a schedule and fill every moment? Or are you one of the people I wish I could be and enjoy your downtime?

Instigator

8 comments:

Christine said...

I am a type A personality. I am on "go" mode most of the time. However, I did give myself permission to take a bit of a break this summer due to all the travel and a health issue. I didn't rush into revising my requested materials. I did read a lot. I also read a Margie Lawson packet. I finished the manuscript I was working on, but I didn't start revising it till after a Margie Lawson workshop. I let myself get good and "bored." I couldn't wait to sit down this week and apply what I had learned on Saturday. And I'm gearing up for another book by the end of the month.

I think breaks are good because if we are good and bored we are itching to work again.

Good luck with the revisions and the new book.

:-)

Cheryl said...

I have been taking a lot of down time lately. I am more than ready to get back to work but am just not quite there yet. When I go on vacation, it depends on where I am. If it's planned in an area which has lots of things to see, yes I do have a plan and a schedule. If it's somewhere like the beach, I just sit and lounge. Lately I have been going to the beach ALOT. LOL!

Playground Monitor said...

I have trouble relaxing but I also have trouble focusing and concentrating. Now THAT'S a real conundrum. It's difficult for me to read a book or sit through a TV show without pausing to flit off and do some task that really could wait. I'm working on it.

I read an article on the plane recently about how important play is. I should re-read it and blog about it because it really had some good points.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I used to be better at it, but something happened when I wrote that last book so quickly. I spent so much time on it, that when I was done, I was sort of at a loss. I've been trying to trim some things from my life for simplicity's sake and now, I feel like I have to be doing something all the time. I need a book project to work on all the time.

Unfortunately, exercising has yet to be one of things I'm compulsed to do.

Tina said...

I'm on the go most of the time. I have to be. Free time for me results in one of the following:
A) I think about all the things I should be doing, get a guilt complex for not doing them, then worry because I didn't do them, and finally do them anyway OR
B) I eat. :)

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Tina, I eat too! In fact, during this down time I'm supposed to be eating better and exercising more - two things that get neglected when my life gets complicated. The elliptical I've tackled so far. It's the snacking that's killing me.

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
robertsonreads said...

No I am pretty good about enjoying my free time as I usually am going full steam. If you really feel the need to stay busy, I have some housework that needs attending to (I have no Zilla around) lol..