Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I’m in the city that never sleeps – (and I’m not sleeping, either)


The RWA conference is always busy. There are too few days and too much to do, too many people to talk to, too much everything. This is the one time a year I get to see all those folks I talk to online, network with the important people, make new friends, and go fan-girl over my favorite authors.

I’m so busy during conference that even though I’m rooming with my CP, if we don’t come in a day early for dinner, our time together boils down to a few minutes before we crash at night and shouted conversations in the mornings over the hair dryer as we both get ready for the day.

I go to bed late and get up early. I run all day from one thing to the next, drink too much wine in the bar with my friends, laugh until my face hurts, and talk until I’m hoarse. Sleep is for people who aren’t at conference, trying to fit several weeks’ worth of writing goodness into four days.

And I’m not even talking about the workshops. I haven’t been to a workshop in ages unless I was giving it. There’s just not enough time – and since RWA records all the workshops, I’ll listen to them later. I can’t hang out with the other writers from my line any other time, so workshops don’t win out in the time battle.

(By the time I get home, I will be ready to collapse and die for a couple of days. Unfortunately, I have a book that needs finishing before July 15th, so my recuperation period will be limited. Between conference-lag and deadline, I hope my family doesn’t need me for anything at all. I probably won’t even be unpacked by then!)

So, while I’m a busy, busy girl this week, I’m a happy girl. I love my job. The business trips are way too much fun!

PC

4 comments:

Bette said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Playground Monitor said...

~sigh~ Have fun without meIf folks ask where PM is, tell them I said hello and I plan to be at conference next year.

Angel said...

I'm gonna miss you guys!!!! I expect all the deets when you get home.

Angel

robertsonreads said...

I hope you ladies have a wonderful time! Stay safe.