Friday, June 03, 2011

Addictions

I've realized lately that I have an addiction. For the most part, it doesn't hurt anyone else, but I can see it progressively becoming a bigger and bigger problem. Have you seen those commercials for the Windows phone that has all the people distracted, looking at their phones while life is passing them by? The woman in the nightie being ignored, the dad playing catch while looking at his phone, people running into each other walking down the street... they all say "really?"


*Sigh.* Yes, really. I can't help it. While DB is talking to me, I'm listening, really I am, but I can't help looking down at my screen. I steal a quick glance down at the screen, ignoring the gesturing of his hands he feels is absolutely necessary for me to understand what he's talking about. Reloading my inbox. Checking in on my Twitter feed. Refreshing my Facebook News Feed. Its this compulsion. And usually, there's not much going on. But I can't not check. And I usually get in trouble for it.


I identified this as an issue for me when I was at the spa the a couple weeks ago. They ask you to turn off your phone. Fine, I'm not so far gone that I must tweet during a massage. So I turned it off and locked it up with my clothes. But I'd arrived early and had to wait a good half hour in my bathrobe before my treatment. I didn't want to get in the sauna and be all hot and sweaty for the masseuse. There wasn't much else going on in there, just a trickling water fountain, some lounge chairs and spring water with trail mix cups. You're supposed to be getting in 'the zone.' So I sat there, aimlessly flipping through an old magazine. All the while my brain was jonesing for my phone. I'd keep it on silent, but I had this compulsion to check my stuff. What if something was going on? I didn't really care, but I had this huge gap of downtime and not having my gadget to fill the space was painful. Literally painful. I just couldn't risk getting thrown out before my massage.


The saddest part was when it was done, I turned on my phone and I had no email or facebook updates. Pathetic.

Then, of course, The Great Blackout of 2011. No power, no phone, no internet and no cell service. I was going out of my mind. I drove to Tennessee to get my iPhone to work again. Must have it. Need it! I felt so disconnected from the whole world.


So, have you developed any new addictions lately? Do you have the same problem with your smartphone?


SP

9 comments:

Scarlet Wilson said...

Addictions - chocolate, costa coffee skinny caramel lattes, buying books, buying radley bags, looking to see if my editor has emailed me yet, fake tan....
Just realised how sad I am, now going off and hanging my head in shame!

Problem Child said...

Considering how I've texted you while you were at the table with me, I think you know the answer to that...

That said, I am trying to limit it. I think it's leading to my overall distraction these days -- and I need to focus!

Playground Monitor said...

I don't have a smart phone so... I was able to text with my dumb phone during the 6 days I was without power. That was my only means of communication except for my daily 25-mile roundtrip trek to a Starbucks to recharge laptop, phone and Kindle. I'd check email while I was there and post on Facebook that I was still alive. But I have been limiting my online time lately. Six days without power kinda helped that along.

I got rid of my Pepsi addiction when the gastro doc said they were part of my stomach problems. Pain is a pretty good motivator.

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

You're not alone in this addiction. Thank heaven that my cell service worked during the blackout. My phone was the only one that did out of my entire family. Getting updates on facebook and texts was how we discovered which stores, gas stations and such were open. It really did make things easier. Unfortunately, I think that just validates my addiction in a bad way.

I refuse to look at my phone while I'm driving, but it sits in between my knees and the minute I hit a red light that sucker is in my hand. Logically, I realize there is nothing so important that it can't wait the five or ten minutes for me to get home. But my addiction doesn't believe me.

Instigator

robertsonreads said...

I can't say I have an addiction at this time, but believe you me I have in the past.

I don't have a smart phone but I am up for contract renewal right now so who knows? But I do have to say this, that when I sit down to a meal with family, friends or co workers, I feel that it is extremely rude and disrespectful to be on your phone when there is conversation going on. I have even asked that cell phone be turned off, come on, if you can't take 30 - 60 for a meal, what the???? Just my opinion of course.

Have a great weekend everyone.

catslady said...

Not me for the iphone but my daughter - it's quite annoying for the rest of us lol. I am addicted to computer games but only when no one is around lol. And of course books!

PM's Mother said...

My name is PM's Mother and I'm addicted to crossword puzzles. I cannot let an unworked crossword puzzle pass me by...even one in an old magazine in the dentist's office.

Barbara Vey said...

I couldn't go anywhere without my iPhone. It's attached to me. :)

Angel said...

I too am addicted to my iPhone, and I try not to check it unless I'm expecting something important while I'm at the table with others -- except the Playfriends who all have the same addiction, for the most part, and understand the need to interrupt our long conversations with the occasionally facebook check in or email look see. :)

Angel