Thursday, November 17, 2011

Arizona

I just got back from my first trip to the desert. It's someplace I've always wanted to visit, but never had the chance. It's silly to say that it always seemed so far away, but it's the truth. Well, actually it's more like the closer places on my must see list always took precedence. So I was really excited about the chance to visit.

And I wasn't disappointed. Despite the fact that everything seems to be in varying shades of brown and dark green, it's beautiful in a stark kinda way. Possibly because it was different than anything I've experienced before. Dried up washes just waiting for rain, huge cactus that are probably older than the trees standing in my front yard and spiked plants that look like they belong on another planet.

Not to mention the mountains. We have a few of those in Alabama and Tennessee. They're nothing compared to the mountains that surround Tucson. Every direction you look there's another sharp peak. Here our mountains are covered with trees and somehow seem green and alive. There the brush can't disguise the hard rocks and shear edges.

Despite one day of rain, most of the time the sky is such a bright blue that it's almost painful to look at. And the clouds were perfect and fluffy. Arizona definitely lived up to my expectations. I can't wait to visit again!

Is there any place you've always wanted to visit? When you finally got there did it live up to your expectations or leave you disappointed?

Instigator

6 comments:

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

The first time I went to the Bahamas, it was a mix of both. I was thrilled to see that water really was that crazy shade of turquoise and the sand was white and gorgeous. But then there's the locals trying to harass you into buying things and you see the skeevy side, which was a bummer.

Playground Monitor said...

I always wanted to visit San Francisco, and I did in the summer of 2008. It did not disappoint. As a matter of fact, I can sing right along with Tony Bennett and declare that I left my heart there. I really want to go back and explore that city more.

Glad you enjoyed the trip to Arizona. I've been to Phoenix, Sedona and the Grand Canyon but never to Tucson. I'd like to re-visit that state too and see the parts I missed.

Angel said...

Oh, that's beautiful! I've never really had much of a hankering to visit the desert, but those pics are awesome.

Scotland was very much like that. I'd seen pictures, and being there was like walking into one. Absolutely gorgeous, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

catslady said...

I can say I'm never disappointed. I'm so thrilled to visit new places. There's always something you can find to love and just the experience of something new is always enjoyable for me.

PM's Mother said...

I was disappointed in my visit to Ireland -- but I think it was the tour and not the country.

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I have to admit those aren't my photographs. Although, they absoultely are a true representation of it. We were so busy that I always seemed to miss the sunrise and sunset. I also kept forgetting to take my camera when we went walking in the morning. I know everyone's so surprised to hear that. :-)

Insti