Thursday, February 10, 2011

Valentine's Day

Yep, I'm several days early. It's been that kind of week. Between a sick child, snow on the ground, ice covered roads, and yet another day off from school for my kids, nothing has gone right this week. Valentine's Day has crept up on me. Well, sort of. I mean, I've been perfectly aware that it was coming. Heck, I've even bought a couple bags of cute little chocolate hearts because I couldn't help myself. My problem is that I'm not ready for it. And who put it on a Monday anyway? Worst day of the week!

So, Zilla is wonderful at a lot of things. Valentine's Day is not one of them. When I was younger I'd pout about the fact that I didn't get flowers or candy or whatever. But I refused to tell him that I wanted those things. Childish? Probably. But, I wanted the sentiment to be from him. For him to realize that I needed that gesture. Somehow it lost it's meaning if I had to TELL him how to show me he cared.

However, lately I've realized that isn't exactly fair. He isn't a mind reader. And, frankly, isn't so hot with the BRGs (big romantic gestures). He does a ton of other things instead that show he cares about me and our kids. Things that are a hell of a lot more practical than a box of chocolates that my hips really don't need. These are the really important things, and I'm not so blind that I don't notice it. But, is it asking so much that once a year I get a BRG?

This year I told him that it would mean a lot to me if he put some effort into Valentine's Day. I even handed him a coupon for $10 off of a flower delivery. I'm a romantic at heart and I'd really like that gesture from my husband, even if most of my brain realizes it shouldn't be that important.

My problem? After all the fuss I've made over it this year, I have no idea what to get him. I've come to the conclusion that Valentine's Day is for women. End of story. He doesn't want flowers. He doesn't eat chocolate. He really doesn't want a stuffed animal because our kids are already drowning in them. One year I balloon wrapped a six pack of beer because frankly it was really the only thing he wanted. But after 16 years together I'm apparently out of cute Valentine's ideas.

So, what are you getting your significant other for Valentine's Day? I'm not above borrowing a brilliant idea. I could use all the help I could get.

Instigator

P.S. The winner from yesterday's blog is Lois Sloan! Please contact Playground Monitor to claim your prize.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

How about a power tool? An accessory for his vehicle (like an ice scraper that plugs into the cigarette lighter)? Movie tickets (kills two birds with one stone)? Subscription to a magazine?

It's too late now, but next year think about personalized M&M's or a bobblehead doll with his likeness on it.

Alicia Hunter Pace (aka Jean Hovey and Stephanie Jones) said...

Avatar (Three-Disc Extended Collector's Edition + BD-Live) [Blu-ray].

It isn't cute. It isn't romantic but no gift makes him happier than a DVD with a space ship in it unless it's a book with a vampire or a ghost. There also needs to be death, preferably with blood.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

DB got a big tv. Technically he doesn't get to keep it were relationship tragedy to strike, but I'll be damned if I'm buying him anything else. :)

Your DH is practical. Get him something he needs for the little house. Something for his truck. Tools. Electronic gadgets. Something lacy and racy. Typically I appeal to their hobbies, their stomach or their uh... Yeah.

Playground Monitor said...

I waan't going to comment since I have no significant other, but after Jean's comment I had to post this:

Personalized Romance Novel -- Blood Lust. Maybe for next year.

Problem Child said...

DG and I are going away for the weekend -- not Valentine's weekend, but in March. I've already booked the room, dinner reservations, and a couple's massage. It wasn't intended to be a V-day plan, but now we've adopted it like it was the plan all along.

I do need to get AC something...

But DG is hard to shop for. He has no hobbies (other than computer stuff I don't understand), doesn't wear jewelry, doesn't really need clothes, flowers make him sneeze, and chocolates would be mean because he's dieting.

Yeah, the weekend away was totally a V-day idea...

Angel said...

My husband and I had a long talk about this one year, because I felt like he was getting shortchanged when I just got him candy every year. But he's really hard to buy for and tends to simply buy what he wants when he wants it.

But that's okay, because he says men only really want one thing. I think you know what it is without me having to spell it out on the blog. :) Initiate it yourself, and wear lingerie. That's all they need. 'nuff said.

LOL

Angel

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

LOL I should have known y'all would help spark the perfect idea. Something SP said reminded me of something he was looking at the other day. I'd completely forgotten about it until I read your post.

And I think the other idea...yeah, that one... goes without saying on Valentine's Day. But, that's really another gift for me so... ;-D

Instigator