Monday, February 14, 2011

February's Best of the Bookshelf

Photobucket

This month we decided to introduce a new feature on the blog: The Best of the Bookshelf. Once a month we’ll talk about some of our favorite reads, either current or from our keeper shelves. As writers and readers, we love talking books, and we’d love the opportunity to find out what you are reading and enjoying. And what better day to kick it off except Valentine's Day!!! I, for one, plan to immerse myself in the romance of the day.

For our inaugural Best of the Bookshelf:


Problem Child:

WHEN HE WAS BAD… by Anne Oliver


Photobucket


So maybe I’m cheating reading within my line, but I’ve been waiting on this book to come out in the US for a while now. I’m a sucker for cocky charmers like Matt and not at all ashamed to admit it. Anne has a wonderful voice that’s easy to lose yourself in, and the book is just great fun all the way through.



Instigator:

MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins


Photobucket


If you’re been involved with the Hunger Games series then this is a book you were desperately waiting for. The series didn’t end the way I expected, but it was definitely worth the read!

Smarty Pants:

THE LOST SYMBOL by Dan Brown


Photobucket



Once again Robert Langdon has found himself tangled in mystery and danger, this time in Washington, DC. Some of the science is making my head hurt, but I'm excited to learn more about the intriguing past of our forefathers, the Free Masons and what's hidden in plain sight all around us.

Playground Monitor:

ON WRITING: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King.

Photobucket


ON WRITING isn’t just Stephen King’s take on writing. It’s also a collection of anecdotes about his life and what led him to write. I usually cringe in fear over his books but this one had caused me to actually laugh out loud in spots.


Angel:

TO CRAVE A BLOOD MOON by Sharie Kohler

Photobucket

I’ve recently read To Crave a Blood Moon, a book I picked up somewhere at RWA Nationals this past July. I found out it was the 3rd in the series, and after reading it, went back to find the previous ones. Really strong paranormal romance series, featuring lycans.

This particular book really spoke to me, because the characters were placed in an untenable situation with no way out. The hero is a starved lycan, being tortured by his enemy by locking him up with a human at the full moon. The villain fully expects the hero to kill the heroine, but the hero manages to free them (against his lycan instincts to eat her), and they run for their lives. Hot hero. A heroine I can relate to – whose own psychic powers make her a match for her hero.

If paranormal romance is your thing, you’ll love this author’s books! I can't wait to find the ones that come next...


Have you ever had a book sitting in your To Be Read pile for forever, then when you pull it out to read it, you wonder, “Why didn’t I get to this sooner? Its awesome!”? Tell us all about it!


Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Happy Valentine's Day to all the Playfriends!!!!!

Angel said...

Happy Valentine's Day! I forgot it is Valentine's because we celebrated yesterday. :) The hubby works really late tonight, so it wasn't practical.

And my word v is blooksp. :)

Angel

robertsonreads said...

Happy Valentine's Day to All.

I have just started reading Susan Elizabeth Phillips "Call me irresistible".

Angel said...

Oh, Instigator is raving about that on Facebook. She says its awesome.

Angel

Playground Monitor said...

Late to respond. Crummy day.

The book I'm reading, ON WRITING, is like that. I've had it forever and I'm only a short way in, but I'm blown away by it. And I don't even think I've reached the really good parts yet.

Sometimes it's just hard to tell what treasure lies between the covers of a book.