Wednesday, November 15, 2006

How Do You Follow a Party?

We had a kilted man serving Teeter-Totters, a chocolate fountain, tootie horns and confetti, Captain Jack Sparrow with his special rum punch that packed a punch, and a slew of friends both old and new. We couldn't have asked for a better birthday celebration than we had yesterday.

One year ago we all felt a little like the crew of the Starship Enterprise -- boldly going where we'd never gone before. Would we have any success at all or fall flat on our cute little faces? We all liked each other but would anybody else like us (besides our mothers, husbands and other family members)? In a world full of highly successful writers who had already built a fan base, would we be able to even make a blip on the radar?

Today answered a lot of those questions. Our cute little faces are free of bruises, but I do still see some chocolate smudges on a few chins. Y'all like us! You really, really like us! And based on what we hear from our website and blog visitors, we're on the radar and our blip is growing. The other Playfriends have had requests for manuscripts, finaled and won contests and I've had some success in the magazine market.

Of course, now the question is "What do we do next?"

The answer?

Keep smilin', keep shinin'
Knowin' you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for


What would YOU like to see us do in the future?

P.S. One lucky commenter from today will be selected to receive a book of their choice from my stash plus an assortment of goodies I brought back from the RWA conferences in Reno and Atlanta. I'm not telling what they are; it's a surprise! But I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Just ask the other Playfriends if they don't have really neat stuff in the Goodie Room. Be sure to check back tomorrow to see who won.

P.P.S. Since today is the 15th, we've updated our website. Go to The Writing Playground and look for the new material!

30 comments:

Maureen said...

I think you should keep doing what you have been doing which is talking about everything. By the way, the article in The Clinic is great and so true.

Theresa N. said...

That's that old saying? Keep on, keeping on...

Problem Child said...

I'm pooped today.

Personally, I'd like to see our little cluster map obliterated by dots. :-)

Angel said...

I'm sick today and will probably spend it on the couch with my Little Man, who is sick too. I swear I caught what he had. I did!!! No, it isn't a hangover. I swear!

Angel

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I'm tired too. I don't know how a virtual party can make you tired, but I really am. Funny.

SP

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I'm right there with you guys and this weather isn't helping any. I really didn't want to get out of bed this morning.

Instigator

Minna said...

I agree with Maureen: keep doing what you have been doing.

Problem Child said...

Dibs on being the one in the red dress...Great style to the back, and not as hip-emphasizing as some of the others.

Angel said...

I get the green dress! It flatters my hair color.

robynl said...

Not having been around that long I would say to keep doing the same things you have been doing. From yesterday's chat, I got the sense that everyone really likes what has happened over the past year. Kudos to all of you!!

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I call the purple :-)

Instigator

Carol M said...

I think things are going great and you should continue doing what you are doing! We all had a great time at the party yesterday and I'm looking forward to having more fun!

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

So, what? I get the plaid dress with the big behind??

SP

Problem Child said...

Sorry, SP. You snooze, you lose.

Playground Monitor said...

Guess that leaves me with yellow? My worst color? I SHOULD get the purple one -- after all I'm the Red Hat lady who wears purple and a red hat that doesn't go. :grin:

Jennifer Y. said...

I love that song!!!

I love how you share what you are currently reading with us. So I would like y'all to keep doing that. I think y'all are doing great and I would not mind more of the same.

CrystalGB said...

I love what you are doing now. I always enjoy reading what each of you has to say.

Rashmi said...

Keep up the good work. And now, I'm off to the site to check out the changes!

krissyinva said...

I can't think of anything......I think you are all doing a wonderful job!!

Angel said...

PM, I'll hand over my red hat, though it might not look that great with a yellow dress. ::snicker::

Angel

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Let's not talk about matching. I'm wearing a blue and white plaid dress with a pink hat, red ribbon and red shoes!

Lois said...

I haven't a clue on what you should do since I really don't know what you guys fully do on your site yet! LOL :)

And thanks so very much for the prize from yesterday! :)

Lois

Anonymous said...

I've lurked for a while but never posted. I had to get my son to set up a blogger account for me. Haha.

I like your blog and what you post about. One neat thing might be to blog about good movies you've seen.

Kay

Playground Monitor said...

I already have a red hat! Several in fact. :sigh: I guess I'll just have to make do with the yellow dress -- maybe get rid of the belt and add a shawl and a floppy hat.

I've been exhausted all day. And don't start saying "hangover" cause I'm the tee-totaler, remember??? All that partying with Jack last night I suppose. We watched Dancing with the Stars and Captain Sparrow is quite the dancer himself. ;-)

PM

catslady said...

I think the interaction is the best part and of course parties are always nice (cough -- prizes). But honestly, it wouldn't be so much fun if you guys weren't so friendly :)

Problem Child said...

Aww, shucks. Y'all are all too kind.

((blushes))

(But please feel free to continue complimenting us as much as you'd like. ;-P)

Jeanette J said...

I think that old saying applies here: If it ain't broke, don't fix it...I like the site the way it is, I'm comfortable with it like my favorite things

Anonymous said...

Tried my damnedest to comment yesterday, but kept getting a blogger error...just wanted to say keep up the good work ladies!

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

All right :-) I'll hand over the purple dress to PM but only if I get the plaid dress from SP. Yellow, yuck :-)

And thanks everyone for the support and comments about what you like. It's always nice to hear that we're doing something right :-)

Instigator

Meljprincess said...

Love the picture on the home page. Now if I knew who was who that would be grand. :-)
More parties with more men in kilts! Hee.
I love the song THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR. I used to have a cat who loved to have me sing it to her.
Keep up the good work, Playfriends! You're fantastic!