Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Have You Ever Been Flashed?



Not that sort of flashed, silly. I'm talking about a flash mob. Wikipedia defines a flash mob as "a group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and sometimes seemingly pointless act for a brief time, then disperse, often for the purposes of entertainment, satire, artistic expression. Flash mobs are organized via telecommunications, social media, or viral emails.

The term, coined in 2003, is generally not applied to events and performances organized for the purposes of politics (such as protests), commercial advertisement, publicity stunts that involve public relation firms, or paid professionals."

Maybe you've seen videos of them online. Or maybe you've seen one up close and personal. I think it would be awesome to be sitting somewhere and suddenly have folks singing and/or dancing.

Travellers at the Denver airport were treated to this one two days before Thanksgiving. What a treat for the tired and weary.



This one was November of last year in a mall food court. I wouldn't call it pointless, though.



And in December 2009, a flash mob in a Portland mall took a decidedly different twist. Watch and see what happened.



Admit it. You sang along, didn't you? I did.

Have you ever seen a flash mob? Or been part of one?

6 comments:

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Nope, can't say that I've been in one or seen one. Not a big activity around these parts.

pjk said...

I have only seen the ones on YouTube. Have you seen the one where the guy uses a Flash Mob to propose to his girlfriend at Disney? It's pretty good!

I would like to see one in person.

Cheryl C. said...

Yeah, I got caught in one last year. We were waiting to go in at the stadium for a football game. About 10,000 students dancing and singing. It was kind of fun and I admit, I did sing along. I like them. At least people are having fun!!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

No, not that kind of flash.

I have had the other one, though. Interesting.

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Nope, never seen one. I've always wanted to be involved in one though. If anyone in the are needs another particiant...

Insti

Angel said...

I've never seen one either, but I would love too!!! I think they're cool. :)