Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wednesday Wow



This is my new favorite TV show.

Castle is about a crime novelist who helps the New York police department solve crimes. Rick Castle, played by the yummy Nathan Fillion, is sort of a rock star in the literary world. He plays poker with James Patterson, Stephen J. Cannell and the mayor of NYC. But after he kills off the main character in his novels, invoking the wrath of not only his readers but his publisher (who is also his ex-wife), he struggles with writer's block. He needs a new character for his next book, and when the NYPD calls him in to help solve a series of crimes that are copies of murders in his books, he finds his new character in Detective Kate Beckett.

She's a fan but won't admit it and is constantly annoyed by Rick butting in to help with cases. She's especially annoyed when the police chief says Castle will be observing as part of his research for his next book. It seems playing poker with the mayor has its perks.

The show is light unlike most other crime dramas, and the screen simply explodes with romantic tension and witty repartee between Castle and Beckett. I also adore Susan Sullivan as his mother Martha. And the fact they've made Castle a single father with a teenage daughter makes him all the more lovable and brings out his vulnerabilities.

Check it out on ABC on Monday nights. Or you can watch episodes online at abc.com.

And here for your viewing and drooling pleasure is Castle star, Nathan Fillion, who just might become the inspiration for my next book.














Have you watched Castle? Do you like it? Can you believe how they left things hanging Monday night, which was the season finale? Please, ABC, bring this show back in the fall.

13 comments:

Linda Winstead Jones said...

I love Castle! Monday after the show, I was waiting for scenes from next week, and when there were none I realized it was the season finale. Aargh.

LJ

Christine said...

We're still watching 24... if I manage to stay awake, but the lead for Castle is pretty dreamy--might have to make a switch.

Alicia Hunter Pace (aka Jean Hovey and Stephanie Jones) said...

Love it and hate that the season is over. I have to admit I first watched because of Nathan Fillion's previous rolls as Mal (aka Captain Tightpants)on Firefly and Caleb on Buffy. I am such a Joss Whedon fan--but I cannot get into Dollhouse. I gave up after five episodes.

Angel said...

This show is really good. While I haven't been a committed watcher, when I catch it, I love it. Of course, I simply adore Nathan Fillion, but I like the humor of this crime show. And the tension between him and the detective. Fun, fun.

Angel

M.V.Freeman said...

I LOVE Castle!

Unfortunately, I have to watch it on Hulu.com, apparantly my spouse is not as half enraptured by Nathan Fillion as I am...Why, I have no earthly idea...*eye roll*
I also LOVED him on Firefly.

Jean--*snicker* Captain Tightpants? I like that name very, very much. ;)

mslizalou said...

I love Castle! I still have the last two episodes to watch on my dvr, but it is one of my must see shows on tv. I didn't want to pick up any new shows this year after Women's Murder Club was canceled, but I had to watch Castle because of Nathan Fillon.

Playground Monitor said...

Obviously I am the only person whose sole pre-Castle exposure to Nathan Fillion was his tiny role on Desperate Housewives (another fave show). I don't think I even started watching Castle until about the 3rd episode, but I caught up online with the ones I missed.

I share LJ's "Aargh" over it being the end of the season.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I haven't watched Castle, and for the benefit of you fans, I won't, because then its sure to be cancelled.

I liked Nathan in Waitress. Never seen him in anything else, although Captain Tightpants has potential...

Problem Child said...

The Geek seems to be enjoying it, so maybe I'll try to catch some reruns this summer.

Darling Geek said...

Jean, you gave up on Dollhouse too soon. It got awesome in episode six (no, really). I read that the first few episodes were to make FOX happy, and that the ones Whedon wrote first start in episode six.

Of course, it hasn't been renewed for season two yet (official announcement next week), so perhaps you got out just in time.

As PC said, I have been watching Castle, attracted entirely because it stared Captain Tighpants (although the tightness of his pants is somewhat less important to me than the fact he was in Firefly at all). It's very light hearted, but I enjoyed it enough to watch the whole season.

catslady said...

Oh it's my favorite show now!!!!!! I've been watching less and less TV because I hate when they cancel some shows so soon. I swear if they cancel this one...

Katherine Bone said...

Arrr! It came on the same time as Heroes and so I only got to see the last episode. Then, to make matters worse, I fell asleep. Double Arrr!

Hulu.com may be my new friend. ;)

Lynn Raye Harris said...

I'm late, but yes, adore Castle! Adore Nathan Fillion. Miss him in Firefly. Ah God, the gorgeousness! The sexual tension there! Stupid Fox canceled Firefly.

But now we have Castle. I can dig it.