Thursday, December 20, 2007

Is It Over Yet?

I'm ready for Christmas to be over. Not because I'm tired of all the cheer - or even the Grinches - but because I can't take the excitement and exhaustion anymore. I don't know what's different about this year but somehow I'm more...anxious about the girl's Christmas. Baby Girl is really getting into the season. And Sweet Pea is old enough to understand what the holiday is all about.

I've worked really hard to make this a great time for them both. Not more than usual. It just feels more important. Maybe that's because it's immediate :-) Heaven only knows that my memory can be faulty. I'm not likely to remember with accuracy the tizzy I was probably in at this time last year.

Of course, I have to get through the next few days before I can really enjoy the moments of celebration with my family. Today I have the last day of school for both girls and everything that goes with it - two Christmas parties, buying cupcakes, ordering pizza and delivering teacher gifts. Then I'm meeting DH at lunch to go truck shopping - because I needed to fit one more thing into my holiday schedule. Then it's off to the store to prepare for my Dad's birthday. Next is the family dinner at Red Lobster which will no doubt take 2 hours considering we have fifteen people. Oh and at some point today I think my boss might like me to do some actual work.


That's just today. I don't want to think about this weekend. At least there's one enjoyable thing I can look forward to. DH and I are having a date night tomorrow night. We're going to see National Treasure 2. We both loved the first one - a rare occurrence! We've bought the expensive tickets at the brand new theater in town. I plan to eat a pizza and sip a chocolate martini while I watch Nicholas Cage chase down treasure.


So what's cramming your schedule for the next few days?


Instigator


P.S. Caridad's winner from yesterday's blog is Vicki. Maureen's winner is Carrie Destler. Congratulations to you both! Please email Playground Monitor here to claim your prize.


P.P.S Happy Birthday Daddy! I love you :-)

15 comments:

Rhonda Nelson said...

I'm going to make my dh cough up a date night, too.

Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Linda Winstead Jones said...

This is why I take a HOHOHO pin and turn it upside down so it reads OHOHOH. :-)

I'm swamped. I love Christmas, I really do, but the preparations are exhausting. This week I've been wrapping and baking and getting ready for guests, since everything for both families is always here. One year I'm going ot the Bahamas for Christmas. Or buying a condo. Sounds good, but it'll never happen. Not the Bahamas part, anyway. The grandkids are old enough to really have a blast, and I want to be there to see it.

Today I'm making banana cranberry cookies.

LJ

Problem Child said...

Of course, that's a picture of your actual house/tree? I'm impressed. ~snort~

Anonymous said...

I turned in a book just a wee bit behind schedule on Tuesday. Today I'm finishing decorating, wrapping, cleaning my house, baking and there's some more Christmas shopping to be done. I'm going to prepare a real meal this evening and after dinner we'll decorate the tree.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I'm oddly wide open, schedulewise. Guess its because y'all are so busy. All my shopping is done and all my gifts are wrapped. My house is clean enough for the inlaws coming Monday. I've done all my grocery shopping. DB works this weekend. I don't have any kid's parties to worry about. I'm not sure what I'll do.

I might actually, *gasp*, read a book or work on my own or something. I bought The Other Boleyn Girl the other day. I'm completely sucked in. Someone has to go see it with me when the movie comes out in February.

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Hey, y'all! Well, this is my last post until after the New Year. I AM going to the Bahamas. ;) I'm still stressed, though. Must finish packing, must take cats to vet for their extended stay, must worry that my parents will be behind the power curve and we'll get a late start on our drive to Florida tomorrow. :( Must keep my husband together at the seams when his father does one too many annoying things. :)

Instigator, I hope you enjoy the movie! You'll have to report on how the experience was. PC and I checked out the new theater, walked all around upstairs and asked a million questions. It was SO cool. I can't wait to go see a movie there.

Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou, y'all!

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Uh yeah. Yeah. That's my house. *snicker*

I'll be sure and let you know how the theater is, Lynn. I've got my hopes up very high which probably means I'll be disappointed :-)

SP, if you're looking for something to do this weekend let me know. I'm thinking I might end up doing a little shopping here in town on Saturday and then I was thinking about taking the girls to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. We'd love to have you (and your sister if you want) come along if you'd like.

Instigator

Katherine Bone said...

Wow, LJ! I never thought of HOHOHO and OHOHOH! (giggle) Too funny.

Have fun, Instigator! My whole family wants to see that movie. I haven't been to that theatre yet but saw it for the first time yesterday when I was buying gift certificates for coaches. I also want to see SWEENEY TODD, DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET. Oh yes! And since I haven't seen my DH but for two hours in the last 2 1/2 weeks, I know where we'll be going this weekend.

I'll go to see THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL with you, SP. Can I borrow your book when you're done? I've been wanting to read that. ;-)

Cookies? Fudge? Ack! I need to start baking and fast. (OOOh Nooo, Mr. Bill!)

Have fun in the Bahamas, Lynn!

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

What a beautiful post. :D

Happy Holidays!!!

Hugs, JJ

Angel said...

I've definitely been in the Christmas spirit this year. The decorating was fun, because we have a new house and I got to shake up the old decorating style. I got to host several parties here, which I've always wanted to do but didn't have adequate room. I'll even be hosting family gatherings this year.

Yes, I'm exhausted, but I'm enjoying it. I'm always a little down when Christmas is over.

Angel

Angel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara Vey said...

I'm going to my mom's tomorrow night for dinner. She's also having my sister's family, so it will be a mini-Christmas celebration before the blow-out on Christmas eve.

(I was impressed with the picture too)

Unknown said...

Wow that’s what I call a full day LOL.

All I have left is to wrap the presents and to bake some cookies. I think going to see the Chipmunk movie is a great idea. I might make it my son’s first move in a movie theater.

Hope everyone has a Great Holiday.

Playground Monitor said...

ad I had it all done weeks ago because I knew that (1) I had a big party at the house and (2) I was flying to my mom's house today. Hi from the coast of Georgia! I'm usually not this organized. This was a fluke year. But it's sure felt good to have the last week stress free.

PM

Caridad Pineiro said...

LOL! After finishing all the gift-buying and wrapping, I have one night free before I have to start cooking for Christmas Eve. I've managed to get the hubby to agree to a date to see I AM LEGEND, but I can't wait to see National Treasure as well.

After that, visiting the MIL and family, revisions to finish and prepping for New Year!

Hope you all have a great holiday!