Friday, September 14, 2007

Musical-ly Inclined

I usually blog a day in advance so I don’t have to worry about drawing a blank on Friday morning. Normally, that’s a good thing. Unfortunately, today I have worked myself into a nasty funk. I have a laundry list of physical, hormonal and emotional complaints that, for your sake, I will keep to myself. Perhaps I’ll rewrite this blog when my Excedrin kicks in. :)

I’m trying to perk up because tonight I’m supposed to go with a few co-workers to dinner and Menopause: The Musical. Yes, I’m significantly younger than all my fellow employees, menopause is a long way off for me, but it should be funny anyway. I like musicals. This one is described as “a 90-minute production which includes 25 re-lyricized tunes from the ‘60s and ‘70s and culminates with a salute to women who are experiencing The Change. Set in a department store, where four women with seemingly nothing in common but a black lace bra meet by chance, the musical pokes fun at things such as hot flashes, memory loss, mood swings, wrinkles, night sweats and eating binges.”

Mood swings? Memory loss? Eating binges? I must be closer to menopause than I thought. Appropriate for today, I think, as I mutter under my breath and ponder what fat-filled chocolate delight the vending machine has in store for me.

I’m a big musical fan overall. My mom took me to see my first when I was 7 or 8 – we went to see Peter Pan. (I fell in love with Peter and was very upset to find later that it was a girl playing the part!) In college, my dorm was across the street from the auditorium, so I went to whatever I could there. Since then, I’ve seen half a dozen plays on Broadway (42nd Street, Into the Woods, the Producers, Hairspray, Spamalot & Bombay Dreams). I had season tickets to the Broadway season here in Alabama, but let it lapse last season because they were offering more stuff like Chinese acrobats and Cirque du Soleil shows instead of good ol’ Broadway standbys. Before I cancelled it, I saw Miss Saigon, Jesus Christ Superstar, Grease, Cats, Le Mis, Chicago, Oklahoma, Beauty & the Beast, The Full Monty, Thoroughly Modern Millie, 42nd Street, Hairspray, Peter Pan, the Producers...probably a few more I don’t remember.

My favorite, out of all of them, would have to be Spamalot, of course. My Monty Python fetish runs deep. I also love the classics by Rogers and Hammerstein, so Oklahoma, Music Man, Cinderella...always great. Love Jesus Christ Superstar. Loved Mamma Mia – any Abba fan would.

I have to admit there’s a couple I’ve gone to and thought...hmm... Cats was like that for me. I’d always heard all this great stuff about it, then I was just completely lost. Is jellical even a word? And what’s with the spaceship? And who names their cat Mungo Jerry? Nevermind, I just don’t think I’m meant to understand. There's others I like, but had problems with, like the Sound of Music. The goat puppets are a problem for me. Creepy, creepy, goat puppets with their bug eyes and long lashes. Yodalay-he-hoo!

What’s your favorite musical? Any plays you’ve ever seen and wondered why you paid so much for the ticket?? Share your thoughts on the Great White Way.

SP

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Chicago - both the play and the movie. What great music.

I didnt care for Les Miserable - too depressing.

Also loved seeing Dame Edna on Broadway. She is so funny.

Rhonda Nelson said...

I've only been to Grease, Annie and The Lion King. (The latter was my favorite.)

Angel said...

My favorite was Beauty and the Beast, the scenery and costumes were incredible! I've also seen the Producers and Jekyll and Hyde. At the moment I can't think of any others, and I liked all of those. Don't think I'd care for Cats. Everyone I know who has seen it didn't care for it.

Angel

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I used to belong to a local theater group so I've spent plenty of time on the stage. I usually love any play I go to see. My favorite experience was seeing the producers on broaday. My favorite show is Les Mis - I think I've seen it 4 or 5 times.

I've thought about getting season tickets to the broadway league here but haven't done it yet. They're so expensive and DH would only go to a handful of shows - most of which aren't on the schedule.

A friend of mine asked me to try out for Steele Magnolias this fall. I was tempted but realized that while I'm not swamped at the moment, the minute I sign onto a show all hell will break loose and I'll go crazy.

Instigator

Linda Winstead Jones said...

I LOVE musicals. Long ago, I used to have quite a crush on Gene Kelly. :-)

Broadway musicals -- I have seen Phantom, Beauty and the Beast, Les Miz, Wicked, and The Pirate Queen on Broadway. Here and in Birmingham I've seen Beauty and the Beast, Evita, The Producers, Hairspray, and the Abba one. (sorry, I'm on my first cup of coffee and I had a bad experience before, during, and after that play, so I've blocked the proper title out of my mind.)

B&tB might've been my favorite on Broadway if a kid with the croup hadn't coughed on me (on me and in my ear, since he was sitting on his father's knee) the entire time. I really enjoyed them all, but if I had to pick one to see again, it would probably be Phantom. Les Miz is fabulous, and the guy who played Jean ValJean was the best vocalist I saw on Broadway, by far, but it's so sad I think I'd rather be beaten with a stick than sit through it again. Locally, Evita was my favorite. Love the music. Just get me started, and I will sing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" for days on end.

This year, for the first year, I have season tickets to the local Theater League. They're playing Gypsy, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Camelot, and Movin' Out. I'm excited. :-)

LJ

Anonymous said...

Well, my school did a production of Oklahoma once...shall I break into song for you, cause I can still sing pretty darn near all of them. Of course, the fam vacates the premises when I put in the cd. Chicks and ducks and geese aren't the only things scurrying. I have no idea why...

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

DB was not amused last night when I came home singing dittys from the play. He knows how I love silly little songs and the play was full of them. All the songs were reworded 60s and 70s classics. My favorite was a take on the Lion Sleeps Tonight.

"In the guest room or on the sofa, my husband sleeps tonight. In the guest room or on the sofa, my husband sleeps tonight."

"Cause she's a witch, oh she's a witch, oh she's a b!tch, yes she's a b!itch, oh she's a witch, she's a witch, oh she's a b!tch, she's a b!tch..."

I'd like to see Gypsy with the BTL this year, but I didn't want season tickets this time around.

Playground Monitor said...

I love musical theater and I was invited to go see "Menopause" but balked at the ticket price.

I've seen The Sound of Music (love the goats *g* ), My Fair Lady, The King and I (hubby actually saw a production of this at the Kennedy Center in D.C. with Yul Brynner as the King), Jesus Christ Superstar, Hello Dolly, The Fantasticks, The Producers, Jekyll & Hyde, Annie, Chorus Line, 1776 and Hair.

The last 4 I actually saw on Broadway; the others were local productions or national touring groups.

Don't know why I like musicals as much as I do -- maybe some deep-seated desire to be able to sing and dance and fill someone's afternoon or evening with happiness.

PM

Katherine Bone said...

DH and I have always wanted to get season theatre tickets but with 4 kids and their sports activities, we've never had time. Once our #4 goes to college and sports are done, we're going to start going.

I've seen B&TB at Disney World does that count? Along with The Little Mermaid. Musicals I've seen are Cats (Loved it! Sorry, Angel and everyone else. Magical Mr. Mystopholies!!! Oh, those cats are clever.... the songs are hard to let go of. And you have to remember we're talking about the world of cats here. No one understands cats because they're oh, so clever.) Stomp was marvelous! I highly recommend it! My dream is to see Phantom. Alas, that one continues to elude me. (whine)

I've always loved musicals. I can sing along with Oklahoma and watched it repeatedly whenever we were stationed overseas because I was homesick. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, yes.. my fav of all time!! Sound of Music, South Pacific, Showboat, Kismet, Kiss Me Kate, anything with Howard Keel in it, of course.

Like you, Jenn, my family runs for the hills whenever I play my CD's or put on the movies. What's with that? (wink)

So glad you enjoyed the show, SP!

Kathy

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I love 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and Kiss me Kate! I've seen those movies like a million times!

Unknown said...

I also love musicals. This year I saw Wicked and I loved it. I went with my friend from work her daughter and my daughter. We all loved it. For several years my parents took me for my birthday to the Kennedy Center

catslady said...

Actually The King and I was my favorite because Yul Bryner was the first movie star I had a crush on (boy am I showing my age lol) and to see him in person was wonderful and the music wasn't bad either. Jesus Christ Superstar and Phantom would come in as my next favorites.

Anonymous said...

I loved The King and I musical.

robynl

Anonymous said...

Well, growing up in Jersey and being able to take the train into NY anytime i wanted, got me to Broadway and 42nd street. Love the half price tix place. I don't mind standing in line to see a matinee of a Broadway show.

Let's see:

Chorus Line, 42nd Street, Big River, Guys and Dolls, Phantom, Les Miz, Dancin', West Side Story, Camelot (with Richard Burton), Cats, The King and I, Mamma Mia (in Las Vegas), Oklahoma, and i can't remember the rest off the top of my head.

I love musicals. I watch Easter Parade on tv every Easter. I watch White Christmas all the time. Singing in the Rain is one of my faves. My mom and i can watch them, but DH and DS run for the hills.

Nini :)