Thursday, September 06, 2007

I'm So Stupid

Seriously. I've spent numerous hours over the last several days redesigning my website. Why might you ask? Because I'm an idiot.

Yes, it needed to be done. Desperately. But it isn't like I'm on a demanding time table here. I've got months to deal with things like updating my website, building video trailers and researching what chotchkies and other marketing ideas I want to use to promote my book. Our very own Smarty Pants is a whiz at websites and offered to help me build my new one. I on the other hand know just enough to get myself in trouble.

So again you ask... WHY? Because I was goofing around trying to decide what I wanted my new site to look like and couldn't stop. I think I've mentioned before that I'm a perfectionist in the worst sense of the word. Well, after hours of playing I finally got a look I liked and as much as I tried to convince myself that throwing useless days on top of the hours I'd already spent was insane...I had to finish it. The thought of pulling up my old site just made me cringe. Yes, I could have (and should have) waited for SP to finish her challenge or for DH to get me the phone number of a friend who builds websites for a living but I just couldn't wait. I told myself I'd just start it and then let someone else more versed in HTML make it better (it wouldn't take much ;-D).

It took me days longer than it probably should have but it's there. For the most part. If you don't notice the missing pictures and whole page that isn't complete.

Have you guys ever started something that just snowballed into more than you expected?

Instigator

P.S. I'd really like to know what you do and don't like about the new site. So if you have an opinion (or notice a problem) let me know.
P.P.S. I just heard that Pavarotti has died which makes me sad. I remember watching the Three Tenors with my grandmother and falling in love with a kind of music I hadn't really paid attention to. My grandmother's no longer with us and somehow Pavarotti, her favorite, was a link I never realized was there.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I...uh...am notorious for just "tweaking" something and it mushrooms/snowballs into a major time suck project.

And yes, the world has lost a great voice.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I think it looks good. We may just need to adjust some stuff so it will self expand to suit the settings of each person's monitor. It will be ok. :)

Nothing is ever as easy as I think it will be, especially when it comes to house stuff or upgrading a computer. I remember one time I wanted to upgrade my video card so I could play the Monty Python game and it ended up costing me $400. In order to support the new video card I needed new memory. My motherboard used 32 pin memory instead of 64 pin memory, which was no longer made, so I needed a new motherboard and processor in addition to the new memory. The game only ran on Win 95, so I had to upgrade my OS, but my hard drive wasn't big enough to even hold Windows, much less anything else, so I needed a new hard drive as well.

I did love that game though. I wish I could play it on something newer than Win 95, but I can't.

Rhonda Nelson said...

This happens to me all the time. Little project morphs into huge project and once I've started I can't stop. Argh!

Playground Monitor said...

Have you guys ever started something that just snowballed into more than you expected?

Yeah. How about childrearing? *g*

I'm on a slow, slow, slow internet connection until I get home this afternoon. I'll have to take a look then.

I knew Pavarotti was fading fast but hadn't checked the news this morning. Didn't know he'd passed until I read your blog. I'm not an opera fan, but I appreciate his immense talent. I wonder who will come along to take his place?

PM

Problem Child said...

Is there anything that doesn't snowball out of hand?

The story of my life starts with "It seemed like the thing to do at the time..."

Anonymous said...

Anything that keeps me from housework tends to snowball.

Katherine Bone said...

Fire sizzles in your site, Instigator!! Cool. I know you originally wanted more of it. Keep working at it. You've got time. The great thing is you get to advertise your sale!!! Woo-hoo!

Have you guys ever started something that just snowballed into more than you expected?

Can I hear "CHEERLEADING MOM" anyone? Enough said.

Kathy

Angel said...

Great job, Instigator. I love the flames at the top.

Hmmm... Did anyone else start with, "Maybe I'll just try to write one book..." :)

Angel

Anonymous said...

I finally got a chance to check out the website and I too love the flames. The pictures of Scotland are amazing...I'm so jealous. Of course, my favorite part was checking out your links and found my name. Awwwwwww. It is any wonder that I love you guys??

Sassy said...

You have a typo on your website in the Photo Gallery section. Below the picture of feet on the Heart of Midlothian, it should be told by a passerby instead of told my a passerby.

Sassy said...

I guess I should of said so before but I also love the flames on your site.

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Thanks, Sassy!
Instigator