Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Winding down while gearing up

The week after Christmas is limbo-like. The Christmas frenzy is over, and I don’t have to start my New Year’s resolutions for another 7 days. AC has plenty of new things to keep her occupied, and I don’t have to cook as there’s a ton of leftovers in the fridge. Nothing earth-shattering is happening this week, so I can recoup and relax.

And make goals for 2007.

Y’all know I love a list. I love to map out what needs to be done and then place a line through each item as it’s done. If I do something not on my list, I add it to the list simply so I can check it off as well. Lists are good. They show me my accomplishments. But the down side to a list is that they can keep growing and get out of hand. And if your list runs to multiple pages, it’s easy to see what you HAVEN’T done and get depressed over your slacker-ness.

No, my goal list for 2006 doesn’t have everything crossed off, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It forces me to look at what those goals are and evaluate them. Was the goal to high-flying? Maybe I need to rein it in and break it down into smaller, more achievable bits. Maybe the goal wasn’t as important as I thought it was this time last year. If I managed to avoid it for twelve whole months, maybe it’s not something I’m ready or willing to do. Unmet goals are re-evaluated and re-assessed; those that are found worthy are rolled over to 2007. Those that aren’t, well, I trash them with no regrets.

Then there are the things I get to add to my list—things I didn’t know I wanted/needed/could do this time last year. So I didn’t sell a book this year (sob), but three editors read my stuff and told me I didn’t suck. There was no “GET TOLD YOU DON’T SUCK” goal on my 2006 list, but it was certainly nice to achieve NOT SUCKING status. That “goal” was retro-added to the list.

All in all, 2006 wasn’t that bad. I achieved some things; I missed out on some others. Before you let yourself wallow in all you didn’t accomplish this year, take a minute to remember all the things you did.

And be proud of yourself.

Are you making your 2007 goals/resolutions yet? Or are you still in a turkey-chocolate-presents induced coma today?

*****
To celebrate surviving Christmas, I'm giving away a prize today. Comment on the blog with "I survived Christmas" to enter!

17 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

I'm still surviving Christmas. I'm still in the turkey-chocolate-presents coma but the DH went to work. Our celebrating will continue tonight when #1 son, DIL and Baby come to visit. I can't wait to watch her open her gifts. #1 son said she got into the whole paper and bows thing. She's getting a lot of books from me (surprised? Uh... probably not) and I can't wait to curl up with her on the sofa and read one of them to her.

PM

krissyinva said...

I survived Christmas!! I am still dealing with opening new toys that are screwed, sewn, taped and wired to their packaging. With 4 kids it never seems to end. I have to put batteries in the toys they didn't open yesterday and download songs onto 3 MP3 players. We had a nice quiet dinner yesterday with just my hubby, the kids and I. Then I took a nap while hubby played video games with the boys and the girls played with their toys. Okay I still have more cleanup to do so I better get off of here.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I survived Christmas. The inlaws left at dawn this morning, so my world is slowly going back to normal. At least I think so. I've got a sore throat and I'm concerned my annual bout of strep is forthcoming.

That was NOT on my list of things to do.

SP

Problem Child said...

Well, I lost my voice, SP, so I'm there suffering with you.

I guess that works out well since I don't have phone service right now either...

Meljprincess said...

"I survived Christmas"
And 2007 is going to be a resolution- free New Year for me.

Katherine Bone said...

My # 4 and I survived Christmas and the public humiliation of our car crash last Tuesday. We've had to fend off questions, explain what happened, and # 4 is scared to get behind the wheel again. Because of the roller coaster ride these past few days and the fact that we just took the car in to get structural repairs made, I spent yesterday lounging around in my new robe and pajamas while I watched the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. Ah! 5 1/2 hours of bliss!

I've never made New Year's resolutions but I'm seriously considering making a list of goals for 2007. I'm hoping that this list and keeping it in plain sight will enable me to stay focused on those goals.

Life gets in the way of the best laid plans but if I can steer myself in the right direction, perhaps even if I veer off course, I'll find my way easily back and have something tangible to show for it when 2007 is done.

Does anyone have tips on how to make this list both challenging and achievable?

Kathy

Playground Monitor said...

Does anyone have tips on how to make this list both challenging and achievable?

Stay tuned tomorrow!

I dont' know about the challenging part but I have some tips for how to achieve your goals -- or at least improve the odds.

PM

Carol M said...

I survived Christmas and I'm just relaxing today. I want to read and not think about shopping, wrapping, etc. I won't even get near the mall until things calm down and I have a GC to B&N that I can't wait to spend! :)

Lois said...

I survived Christmas :) Me, my only goal right now is to have some more leftovers! :) (Hey, I like leftovers, we don't have them all that much!) :)

Lois

catslady said...

Actually I'm still waiting for mine. My one daughter and her boyfriend are due in at any time and then we'll have our Christmas! They're staying til New Year's Day so I'm expecting to be busy.

Happy Holidays

Katherine Bone said...

Forgot to mention I shut my right thumb in the closet door Christmas Eve when I was getting some presents out. Boy, did that ever hurt!

Can't wait to see read your advice about setting 'achievable' goals, PM.

Kathy

robynl said...

"I survived Christmas"; yes I did. Even went shopping today in the city. The weather cooperated all around which was great.

Maureen said...

I survived Christmas and I am in a vegetative state for a today.

Pat L. said...

I am bad. I never make any resolutions.

Pat L. said...

I forgot to say:
I Survived Christmas....
No resolutions for me.

kim h said...

I survived Christmas. i have to go back to work

Anonymous said...

I survived Christmas....

Now only about 3 mos. to Spring.