Friday, December 22, 2006

Bursting at the Seams (no - my house, not my pants, thank you...)

That’s it. I’ve had it. I’m buying a new house. My house is just too small. I can’t take it anymore. I can’t breathe anymore. I marched home last night and announced that I wanted a new house. I expected DB to talk me out of it. Much to my shock and amazement, DB agreed without the slightest protest. Uh...so I guess I’m buying a new house.

Let the quest begin.

So now I’m on the prowl for a subdivision and floorplan that catch my eye. They’re building some new ones closer to town that I’ve watched them build for a few months. They have city sewer (I hate my septic tank!) and curbs with gutters. Big kitchens and a master bath bigger than my bedroom now! May just have to snatch me up one of those. The square footage and the price are hard to deny. It’s not as much land as I have now, but its also not as much yard work. Woo hoo.

This also means I have to sell my current house. Unless I trip over some artistic spirit who thinks eggplant is an appropriate color for a room, I have to paint. I have to patch and spackle and sand. I have to get the carpets scrubbed to see if they’re salvageable. I have to clear out about 60% of the junk from my house and put it in storage. Can’t just shove things in a closet like when guests come over. The house is only 4 years old, so the roof and the HVAC is fine. Everything works just fine. Just too small for me, my Darling Packrat (I should change him to DP instead of DB) and our ever growing herd of furry beasts.

Then there’s the whole real estate game. I’m intimidated by the entire prospect. Open houses, people stopping by, offers, counter-offers, fees, closing costs, escrow, lawyers, warranties. Makes me quite queasy. I’ll take any recommendations for a low key real estate agent to help me out.

Of course, the first night I sleep in my new house, hopefully it will all be worth it. And my new study/office where I will sit and write my masterpieces will be reward enough. And maybe I can host the 2008 HOD Christmas Party. It will all be worth it then, right? I hope so. I fear I’m about to get on Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. I need to just put aside all thoughts of this until the New Year. That's the sensible thing to do. Of course, I do have a week off of work, so I could start painting...

SP
(And don't even ask me what my word count is. Just look at last week's...its the same...)

5 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

Uh... wasn't PC the one who was supposed to get a new house?

Email me and I'll give you the name of my realtor who sold my other house. He's one of the top producers in the entire state in terms of numbers of properties sold.

Also, try valleymls.com. You can plug in the area you want to search, the type of house, all the criteria you want it to meet and it will do all the sorting for you. That's how I found the house we have now.

Just don't move the first weekend of May or PC will kill you. *g*

PM

Angel said...

Ah, join the Moving Club!!!! Guess I'll have to pay back the painting credits you earned, huh?

We don't even have our house on the market yet and I feel like my life is consumed. The nightmare will start in January when I have to keep the house spotless with 2 small children and a husband who can't see dirt or clutter (great in some ways, not in others).

Want to know why I'm not producing any writing lately. This is the reason right here.

Problem Child said...

Yes, PC is the one who's supposed to get the bigger house. That's my whine.

There will be no moving in the first week in May. Everyone is booked for that weekend!

But, SP, until you have plastic toys breeding in every room, you're going to have a hard time scraping up sympathy around here...

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Ah, moving. Fun! Of course, finding a new house and getting to decorate and arrainge all your stuff is always fun. it's the preparation to get to that point that's a headache. Of course, you know there are at least 4 people that'll help :-)

Instigator

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I was supposed to move this year too, I just wasn't supposed to get the lap pool. Hopefully I won't have as much work to do to my house to sell it besides clear it out and paint it. Clearing it out and keeping it clean to show will be my biggest challenge. (Plastic toys might breed quickly, but at least they aren't covered in motor oil. My house has been taken over my breeding dirt bike parts and old computer and video game systems...)

SP