Sunday, April 23, 2006

Vegging Out


As anyone living in my house can tell you, I'm a little stressed at the moment. My Mom has a wedding coming up in two weeks and I have a lot of responsibilities for it. That's not something I mind. I volunteered. But it has just made me a little stressed. Correction: I have made me a little stressed.

Drama Queen asked me today, "Mom, you are worried about Nana's wedding all the time, aren't you?" After marvelling at her insight, I replied, "Yes. Mommy is worried about the wedding. I have a lot of things I am doing for Nana's wedding and I want to do them really well. So that Nana can have a really nice wedding. I get a little nervous about it."

She nodded and went on about her business. I shouldn't be surprised that she noticed. I've been obsessing over what I would wear, invitations, flowers, and other various things for weeks now. I just want to do everything in my power to make my Mom's wedding as perfect as it can be. My therapist says striving for perfection is a real issue for me. :)

I've spent the last two days putting together the bridal bouquet. I think I've finally gotten it the way I pictured, with some help from my extremely talented Mother-in-law. No sooner had I finished glueing the ribbon over the stalks for the handle, my brain had begun the shut-down process. There was no going back.

There would be no more flower obsessing tonight, despite the fact that I have four more bouquets to go, not to mention window arrangements to plan. Instead, I took the night off. I rarely do this, because there are always a million things that need to be done after my children are in bed and snoring for the night. Okay, they don't snore, but they do breathe heavy.

Tonight I watched a movie while reading a book. My husband lacks any understanding of my ability to do this. After all, he's not a woman. He can barely carry on a conversation while watching television, much less comprehend words on a page. :) But I do this a lot. I have a movie in the background--usually one I've seen before--that I listen to and occassionally glance at when something interesting is happening. Meanwhile, I'm reading a book--new or old, doesn't matter. I find this very relaxing. It is my favorite way to veg out. Throw in a little chocolate (of course I did!) and I'm in heaven.

Hopefully my mind will function a little better tomorrow for having the break. I can go back to stressing about flowers and what shoes I'm going to wear and how I'm going to pack everything into my little car... Okay, I'll admit to being a little obsessive. Here's hoping I don't freak out before this is over. I may need a girls' night out... my second favorite way to veg out.

What's yours?

Angel

7 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

Reading. That's my favorite vegging technique. But I'm not as talented as you. I need total quiet.

I like movies too. Or certain tv shows. But reading just whisks me away to another world.

I'm sure your mom's wedding is going to be wonderful. And so what if there are a few hiccups? If you don't tell anyone, they probably won't know anyway.

Hugs,
PM

Anonymous said...

Vegging out? Hmmm. I like a nice hot bubble bath, followed by a nap, followed by a good book, followed by chocolate, followed by a movie, followed by another nap. :-)

Hope the wedding goes well, Angel! Sounds like you're working your wings off on it!

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

If you need someone to help hot glue ribbon or something let me know. I've been in your shoes before. I'm also more than willing to kidnap you for an evening if you need to get out.

Vegging out for me usually involves reading or watching a horrific amount of tv. Heaven forbid there is a Law & Order marathon - I'll sit there all day if I don't have anything else to do.

SP

Problem Child said...

Girls night out? I am so there! When?

I, too, have been wound a bit tight recently, but I hit a zen moment yesterday. Just a moment of zen, mind you, but a good round of "you cannot change what you cannot change, you cannot control everything" did wonders for my clarity of mind.

The wedding will be great. You've had a lot on your plate recently, and you've risen to the challenge. Be proud.

PC

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I'm glad you got the bouquet done, Angel! I know you were worried about it. I haven't seen it but I am absoulutely positive it looks amazing. You're very crafy when it comes to these sorts of things.

Vegging out? My favorite would be reading (usually with the TV on in the background :-)) But at the moment I can't read - I never can when I'm neck deep in one of my own books. So lately I've been playing online poker and working sudoku puzzles at the same time. The sudoku keep me from making bored mistakes while I'm playing and lose all my money.

Not that I've had any vegging out time lately. Although I am almost through with this first major rewrite. Sweet Pea is home sick today so here's hoping I can get all my notes for this typed into the computer today and get everything printed out for round two - it shouldn't take as long. I hope.

Instigator

Katherine Bone said...

I'm with LJ. Phantom of the Opera is my ultimate way of soothing the savage beast. I love putting on other favorites like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Pride and Prejudice, Gone with the Wind, and Underworld.

Once, when I had to finish quilting a quilt we were raffling off at a luncheon, I watched 7BF7B, all day long. Yes, over and over again, quilting while singing along. It was totalling liberating and the work got done in excellent time. Sappy, huh?

Angel, being responsible for something like your mother's wedding is a weighty load. Not only are you trying to make sure everything is perfect because you take pride in what you do, you are emotionally connected to the recipient of the work. Try to sit back and relax. Take a deep breath and know in your heart that everything will turn out as beautifully as you've hoped it will be and possibly better. I know this because your hands are being guided by a greater power.

On a personal note, I just wanted to let you know you were not alone. It's that time of year again! The orders have come down for 32 pairs of flip flops (decorated with fun fur yarn), 32 pajama pants, 32 competition ribbons, 32 laundry bags, and 32 crazy socks! All to be finished by May 27th!

Once again, my DH is upset with me because I've allowed myself to be placed in this position. "Don't sweat the small stuff." Yeah, right!

Kathy

Carla Swafford said...

Reading. Nothing unusual for someone who loves to write, too. I do enjoy having the house to myself. No TV. No radio. Total silence. It's awesome. After 25 years of children running in and out, playing the stereo full blast. I miss the kids, but not the noise.

I'm a organizational freak. So when I planned my eldest's wedding five years ago, I was in hog heaven.