Thursday, April 20, 2006

In the Zone


And no, I don't mean Auto Zone. I'm in the writing zone. Dialed into this story and the characters. To be honest, at the moment, this story is practically writing itself. I know, probably not an intelligent thing to say. We writers like to give the impression that blood, sweat and tears cover each and every page we produce. And while that is true 99.9% of the time, I live for these moments when it's easy. I know it won't last, cause it never does. I'm simply going to enjoy it for the moment. I'm putting words to the page (in rewrite mode since I've made changes during editing that are requiring me to practically rework the entire last half of this book) and solving plot issues I didn't even realize I had. The solutions are popping onto the page in the form of bantering dialogue and insightful introspection (makes me realize I should listen to the characters more often).

I love these moments. When the story takes on a life of its own. The characters are so real that even before something happens in my imagination I know how they'll react, what they'll say and feel. Ah, the joys of creation. Remind me of this moment when I'm pulling my hair out by the roots over some turning point that refuses to turn will ya?

You know what's exceedingly funny about this moment though? Just yesterday I was lamenting ever finding the solution to an issue that had cropped up. I was moaning and groaning - in my head of course. And today I wrote 14 pages of new stuff that not only fixed the problem but set up the black moment even better than I'd originally planned. Everything simply fell into place. God, I love these moments. They're so energizing. In fact, I was so energized I wrote this blog post three days early. Don't anyone faint. I figured I should take advantage.

So, what gives you that euphoric feeling?

Instigator

7 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

I've been in that zone once or twice in my writing life and man oh man what a feeling. Your fingers just can't keep up with the words in your brain.

I hope this continues for you!

PM

Anonymous said...

The same thing. And I'm waiting for one of those now. Where do you order one, btw?

:-)

Anonymous said...

I get that euphoric feeling when I'm able to pay all my bills and have money left over. Doesn't happen very often!

J.B. Thompson said...

I love the Zone!

"As soon as I began, it seemed impossible to write fast enough - I wrote faster than I would write a letter - two thousand to three thousand words in a morning, and I cannot help it." (Helen Hunt Jackson)

I did NaNoWriMo last year - cranking out thousands of words a day - that's the kind of euphoria we like, isn't it?? Wish I could get to that Happy Land more often.

Kudos on being there, Instigator!

=) JB

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I had an inappropriate moment of euphoria the other day while I was sitting in the Quality Management review meeting. In trying to wrap up the current WIP, I've also been trying to build in the potential follow on story at the end. I've had ideas here and there, but as I ignored the slides on the projector I had the most glorious vision of my new characters and who they are and why. I was scribbling in my notebook so furiously people probably thought I was paying attention.

Now I've just got to fight back the urge to plot while I'm still in RevisionLand. No sequels for a book that doesn't sell!

SP

Carla Swafford said...

I get giddy when that happens. Drunk-on-five-colas-in-one-day giddy. Sadly, that rarely happens. The "in the zone" giddy, the cola one happens more often than I should let it.

Problem Child said...

I'm still euphoric (see Tuesday's post), but I had an author I really respect tell me my book was good, so euphoria has become giddiness.

If the editor likes it at all, I may become orgasmic...