Monday, January 02, 2012

MOANday... with a twist



I know. You were expecting Angel and her cadre of hot guys. But I've co-opted her Monday to share my moan-day experience.

Last week I was on vacation visiting Asheville, North Carolina. #2 son lives there so I had a wonderful chauffeur and travel companion. The hightlight of my visit was going to see Biltmore House all decorated for Christmas. I also did some shopping and had a spa afternoon with a facial and massage.

Then last Friday I bid a fond farewell to the mountains and headed home. I was about 70 miles from my destination when a car suddenly pulled out in front of me. I hit the brakes but it was too late to avoid a collision. I broadsided the other car and all I remember is the sickening crunch of the two cars colliding and then spinning around and around.

If anyone saw the collision, they did not stop. I sat in my car with my neck and shoulders in pain for at least five minutes or more until a couple in a red pick-up stopped. They called 911 and soon the EMTs had me in a cervical collar and out of my car on a backboard. Then I heard the helicopter come to take someone from the other car to the hospital. After a long ride to the trauma center at our local hospital, I was wheeled into a cubicle and the team went to work.

I was praying they didn't cut off my jacket. It's new. I love it. It is worth more than the rest of what I was wearing combined. My prayers were answered but my sweater, camisole, bra and jeans weren't so lucky. I was poked and prodded, asked a ton of questions, had x-rays made of my foot and pelvis and then taken to have a CT scan of my neck.

After the films and scans were read, I was declared free of any breaks and told I could go home. Two of the Playfriends were there at the hospital with me and the others were working in the background to notify my family. My older son came here (he lives two hours away) and brought me home from the hospital. He also stayed the night, took me the next day to get a rental car and helped me navigate Walmart to pick up a couple things.

The Playfriends came over later that afternoon with food and promises to help in any way they can. I have to tell you that it's wonderful to have so many friends who will drop everything and come to the ER at 10 PM (at least I think that's what time it was).

But back to the cut-off clothing. When it was time for me to be released, I reminded Penny-the-nurse that I had nothing to wear home but my coat, my shoes and socks and my underpants. She said she'd get me something and came back in a bit with some gray sweatpants and a t-shirt. When I saw what was written on the back of the shirt, I pointed it out to Angel and Problem Child. Then the nurse saw it and began to apologize.

"Oh no! I love it!" I said, clutching the shirt to me. "It rocks."

"Uh, do you have another one?" asked Problem Child.

And just what does this shirt look like?



Don't you love it? It's my new favorite t-shirt.

I walked away from the accident without any broken bones. My car is totaled and I'm going to have to go car shopping this week or next. But despite no breaks, I have plenty of bruises and strains. I'm feeling like a big truck hit me and then backed up to see what it had hit. Today (and the past couple) have been moan-day for me.

But just so you won't feel cheated, here's a little treat for you.



Seeley Booth does a lot more for a hospital gown than I do. ;-)

9 comments:

EllenToo said...

So glad you are alright even if a little sore...Aren't friends wonderful? Everyone one should have friends who would drop anything and rush to your side when you need them.

And I can see why you and your friends LOVE that T-shirt.

Julie Miller said...

How scary! So glad to hear you're going to be all right, though. What a blessing to have the friends and family you do. Hope the other person is healing, as well.

And I LOVE the T-shirt!

Sending prayers for your continued recovery. Take care.

Unknown said...

Oh wow that had to be rough and I know that you are feeling very rough right now because I have been there and its not fun.

Love the shirt wish I had one.

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

I'm so glad you survived to interrupt regular programming with your MOANday tale. Close call, lady!

Love that T-shirt too. Wear it proudly. You'll have a great story to go with it when people ask how you got it. :)

And before I go...thanks for the Seeley pic.

Maven Linda said...

Just take care of yourself. And when you're looking for a new car . . . Hondas are built like tanks. Just sayin'.

Cheryl C. said...

So glad you are okay! Please let all of know if you need anything. I'll be glad to help when I can! Just give a call.

Jenna Vi said...

What a story.... so glad you are not more seriously hurt. Angels were watching over you. :-) Sending prayers and positive thoughts for your quick recovery.

Angel said...

I'm so glad you are okay!!! And I love the shirt... I want one. I just don't want to be in a car accident for it. :)

Take care, luv!

gigi said...

I am so glad you are okay.
I would have been very scared.

Love the shirt. They ought to sell them in the hospital gift shop.