Tuesday, October 26, 2010

No Place For Wimps


Wow, if I've ever bemoaned the lack of excitement in my life or implied that being a writer was rather well, boring at times, I take it back. I take it all back. Some days a girl just can't keep up with the highs and lows in this business -- especially when they all seem to come at once.

I feel like I need a time out just to catch my breath.

I'm writing one book while promoting the release of another (ahem) and pre-promoting (is that a word?) yet another one.

So the current WIP has it's highs and lows... days when the words just flow and other days when I wonder if I can get my old job back.




Then I get the covers for my next book -- one is UK (Jan) and the other is US (March), which I must then obsess over and analyze with a microscope.










And the reviews and comments on BOARDROOM RIVALS, BEDROOM FIREWORKS! are coming in -- some love it, some don't. Some think it's okay, and others think I should find a new hobby.

I'm at the point to where I'm sometimes afraid to touch my computer.

So how do I deal? Sometimes I whine. Other times I wine. I eat cupcakes. I do the happy dance. Send the yay me! emails. Sometimes, I'm doing more than one thing at a time.

It's the nature of the biz.

And though it's not always good for the ego or the ulcers, it's always a hell of a ride and a million times better than my other options. I have good friends and a great family who know it's a series of ups and downs. I try to keep it all in perspective -- I'm a writer, after all. No children or animals will be harmed in the ongoing saga of my career. The sun will come up tomorrow, regardless.

And the highs really do outweigh the lows, so I try to always keep that in mind.

This job is a roller coaster, and since I'm in it for the long haul, I'm going to hit lots of highs and lows. Normally I love roller coasters, but my stomach is still getting used to this one.

So how do you ride the roller coaster of life and career? Hands high and screaming? Holding on for dear life with eyes squeezed closed? Someone waiting for you with a nice glass of wine?

PC

Calling Kelly Fitzpatrick! Your ISP is refusing delivery of my messages, and I can't mail you your book without a mailing address. Please send me your address: problemchild@writingplayground.com

3 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

To quote the Beatles, "I get by with a little help from my friends." That plus my therapist has got me through the last two years.

Cheryl said...

I am also experiencing highs and lows lately, mostly lows. But hey, at least I'm experiencing something. Keep at it PC - we love your books and to take them away would be a crime!!!

robertsonreads said...

Well, after my job, I go to my sister's for dinner and between her and 4 kids, I get wound down. Then I go to my home, where it is exceptionally quite, take a bath, get in my jammies, get a book and just mellow on out.....

word verification - sparned

I just sparned another one...