Monday, October 25, 2010

Childhood Treasures


Over this past summer, Drama Queen’s reading abilities grew like one of those tiny toys you put in water, then watch them enlarge and take shape instantaneously. Not only did the amount she read expand, but the difficult of the books she chose rose as well. She’s now reading at a 9th grade level in 5th grade. With surprise, I realized she is reaching the same age I did when reading became my favorite activity.

Her favorites are the Warrior’s books (Erin Hunter) and she’s now reading a historical YA romance by fellow HOD member Melanie Dickerson. She doesn’t seem to be interested in Harry Potter, even though she enjoyed the movies. But watching her sit at the table and read after school brings back so many memories.

My mother began taking us to a local library on a regular basis when I was about eleven. I started in the youth section before moving on to tackle the adult books under my mother’s close supervision. The librarians came to know us very well over the years, until my sister and I started college, and they were always impressed that we each checked out the maximum books allowed: 13 per 2 week period. They were astounded when my mother told them we actually read all those books.

Photobucket

I remember one book in particular, a retelling of Beauty and the Beast titled Beauty. I remember the beautiful language, vivid imagery, and intriguing story of sacrifice and love in that book, as well I should since I read it repeatedly. A quick Amazon search revealed a YA book by the same name, by author Robin McKinley, that sounds like it might be the one. I’m hoping to purchase a copy for my daughter for Christmas. Maybe she’ll enjoy it as much as I did.

Do you have a book that stands out from your childhood, one that had a special impact on you and your reading habits?

Angel

8 comments:

Problem Child said...

There's a wonderful book called "Time At The Top" that I really need to find for AC. I adored it. (Not that AC is loving any other of my childhood favorites -- I'm a little dismayed.)

AC is currently into that Owl series that they just made a movie out of...

Playground Monitor said...

I can't remember any single book that impacted my childhood reading, but I do remember reading a lot. I enjoyed mystery series like the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and Judy Bolton books. And I went through the "horse books" phase many girls go through.

My boys weren't readers even though I read to them practically from the day I brought them home from the hospital. However, my younger son has become quite fond of the Tolkein Rings books as well as a big fan of Dan Brown. And my other son does a lot of reading to his own daughter who gets a book every month from Dolly Parton's Imagination Library.

robertsonreads said...

I didn't have any favorites as a kid. However, when I took tests in the 8th grade, not sure which kind, but my reading was horrible, which is what my mom was told. That summer I picked up my first Harlequin Presents book and it changed my life forever. Romance books have gotten me through a 2 year divorce, 2 trips back to court, my father's death, unemployment (1 1/2 years) and now missing my son who has just joined the Marines. My son doesn't care for reading but I make up for him.

Angel said...

Finally, I'm back!!! Spent the day trying to rid my computer of a virus. Yikes!!! It was a bugger. Thanks to Darling Geek (PC's, not mine) all is now well. :)

Robertsonreads, that's a wonderful story. Our reading so helps us through those tough times. Hugs and prayers for that Marine of yours. :)

PC, Drama Queen is reading that Owl series too. She's upset because the school doesn't have the next ones. I'm going to have to invest in more of them, I believe.

Angel

Cheryl said...

"Beautiful Joe"- a book written at the turn of the century about a dog who is abused and then finds a wonderful family to take him in. I loved it and read it over and over in the third grade. It's out of print but I found one recently at an antique store and bought it for an ridiculous price because I had to have it. My mother took me and my sister to the library every Sunday. I still remember how wonderful it was to wander the racks for that special book.

Playground Monitor said...

I remember reading "Beautiful Joe" too! I'd completely forgotten about it until Cheryl's post.

Anonymous said...

"The Secret Seven" series...my older brother and I fought over them at the Bessie K. Russell branch! We also checked out the max for the 2 week period, but always wound up going back early because we finished them in about a week. My mom still sees the retired librarian and she still remembers us and all the books we read! And I still read as voraciously as I did then, if not more!



Sheryl M

Laurie G said...

The Cricket in Times Square by George Seldon,

Louis the Trumpeter Swan by EB White,

My Father's Dragon