Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Are you ready for some... baseball?



The 106th World Series starts tonight and is a study in underdogs -- two teams that had losing records in 2008 and were last in their respective divisions in 2007.

The Texas Rangers and the San Francisco Giants overcame huge odds and beat the big guys to end up in the race for the Commissioner's Trophy. That race begins tonight on the Fox network at 7:30 Eastern time.

I don't follow baseball but this story about never giving up has captivated me and I'll be watching tonight when the first pitch is thrown. We have had a minor league team here in town since the 80's and I used to take my boys to watch games. As it was, we got to see several players who went on to the big leagues and fame -- Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire. Sadly they also went on to shame because of steroid use.

It's a World Series filled with novelties. The Giants haven't won a World Series since 1954 and the Rangers have never even played in the fall classic. Both teams defeated their league's defending champs to make it to the World Series, and each team played a six-game play-off series to get there. The official birthday of the Rangers is October 26, 1960, so they'll be celebrating their 50th anniversary in a very big way.

But perhaps the most interesting tidbit of all (at least to me) is this:

Rangers catcher Bengie Molina will get a World Series championship ring regardless of which team wins. He's going to be the first catcher in baseball history to face a team he played for earlier in the season. He played 57 games for the Rangers and 61 games for the Giants during this year's regular season. Talk about having your bases covered!

I can't quote you any statistics other than these I've gleaned from the past few days' sports pages. I don't know who any of the players are. I'll be cheering for the Rangers since (1) it's their first World Series appearance and (2) my BFF Kristi is a Rangers fan and I'd love to see her fave team win.

Are you ready for some baseball? Will you be glued to the TV to see who takes the best of seven games? Or will you be fully ensconced in college football?

6 comments:

Linda Winstead Jones said...

I'll be watching, even though my team isn't there. I've seen the Giants in person, and have been rooting for them (not enthusiastically, but then, they DID beat the Braves. Boo.) simply because I'm familiar with the players. I'll watch the first game tonight, then decide which team I want to win the series. I have to admit, I'm shocked. I was sure the series would be between the Yankees and the Phillies. Then it would've been easy for me to pick a team, because I hate the Phillies. If you're going to be a Braves fan, it's kind of required. :-)

LJ

Cheryl said...

Sorry, I don't follow baseball. As everyone knows, I am a rabid college football fan. Not obnoxious I hope, but I love my team - in good or bad years. Maybe this year will be a good one, it has been so far...

Julie Miller said...

I'm excited! I'm not really a Giants or a Rangers fan, but my Cards and Royals sure weren't going to be in the World Series again. I'm loving the whole underdog thing this year, though. Still haven't decided who I'm rooting for--do I go for the classic team with the Giants, who once fielded my favorite player ever--Willie Mays--but haven't been to the Series in my lifetime. Or do I go for the rookie Rangers who've been around as long as I have, but have never played in the October Classic? My heart is drawn to both. I think it'll be great to see these two teams shine.

Katherine Bone said...

I'm so ready for the World Series! Since I'm a Yankees fan, but grew up a Rangers fan, the playoff between the two was a shocker. The Rangers have always been blown off. I'm so happy to see them going to the World Series! (But sad my Yankees, and Jorge Posada, a former Stars member won't be able to go.) However, this is the Rangers moment. I'm routing that they win! ;)

I'm not a Phillies fan so I'm happy the Giants won. But I'm not a Giants fan either. In fact, I didn't know there was a Giants baseball team until now. Or if I did, I'd conveniently forgotten. LOL!

Go Rangers! (You can take the girl out of Texas but you can't take the Texas Rangers away from
the girl!)

Problem Child said...

Until this moment, I had no idea the World Series was starting, much less who was playing. :-)

Pat L. said...

Yes, I love bb - My Dodgers didnt make it this year.

Unfortunately, Channel 5/9 are holding us hostage and unless a miracle happens, we wont get the games. They refuse to agree to binding arbitrattion. They are a disgrace.

Will have to just keep peeking on the net.