Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bon Dia

This week, the DH and I are on vacation. I'm sorry if you're freezing wherever you are, but today I am in sunny Curacao, which is 12 degrees north of the equator. It's thirty-five miles off the coast of Venezuela and is part of the Netherlands Antilles. Two other islands, Aruba and Bonaire, make up the rest of the island group and together they're often called the ABC islands. The people speak a language called Papiamento, which is a strange mix of Dutch and Spanish. Bon dia, the title of this post, means good day.

The water is clear and turquoise. I went snorkeling in the hotel's lagoon. It's shallow enough that I can stand up if panic starts to set in. But I saw coral and some purple fish and I'm a happy camper. The beach isn't your typical sandy shore. It's filled with washed up coral and were it not for my Crocs, I couldn't even get into the water.

So while the shore's a little rough, this island has one HUGE plus going for it. You can drink the water. You also don't have to scrutinize every bite you eat for fear it's been washed in contaminated water. Haven't needed the Immodium once. I know: TMI.

It's been nice and breezy and warm. We have had to battle rain every morning, but that's better than the snow and cold parts of the US are battling. The resort is all-inclusive, which means all I have to do is beckon Sandrik, the cabana boy and ask, "Will you please bring me another of those wonderful fruity drinks with a little paper umbrella stuck in it?" I took merengue lessons on Sunday afternoon and salsa lessons yesterday, and Georgio and Ramon are just the cutest instructors a gal could want to have. And what hip action! I also read Problem Child's book under the shade of a big palm umbrella. And I met a very nice woman from Finland who is reading a book called HOUKUTUS. Translation: TWILIGHT. The craze is worldwide.

I'd post photos but I just can't get blogger to upload any. That's a shame because I have a wonderful photo I took on the beach today. I was walking in the surf and amidst the pieces of coral that resemble brains, sponges and part of the male anatomy that will remain nameless, I found a heart-shaped piece of coral -- El Corazon. It seemed appropos after the ride into town for shopping this morning. Drivers here are somewhat crazy and the only difference between my ride to Willemstad and Joan Wilder's trip away from Cartagena in "Romancing the Stone" was we had no pigs and chickens in the van.

We'll get back home on February 1st, and I'll post an account of the trip. Stay tuned. Same Playground time. Same Playground channel. And keep the Playfriends company for me while I'm gone.

17 comments:

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Gee, makes me think of my days in Hawaii. Thanks, PM. *sigh*

Glad you're having fun!

Christine said...

I am on vacation with you in my mind after the lovely description of the resort.

Here it is getting cold again.

Problem Child said...

It's rainy and cold here. I think all of us would gladly trade places with you, PM!

Have fun. We miss you!

Sherry Werth said...

A beautiful island, warm sunshine, fruity drinks, cabana boys and a good book to read.....what more could a girl ask for?!

Have fun PM and take lots of pictures!

Angel said...

We miss you, PM! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Yep, the weather here is rainy and about to turn very cold. But the idea of a vacation, anywhere, is appealing at the moment. Nothing to do but read and rest. Sigh...

Angel

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Mmmm.... beach. Sigh...

mslizalou said...

It's snowing right now in Nashville, so I would love to be on a sunny island.

Can't wait to see your pictures.

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

We miss you , PM!

I'm staring out my office door to the cold, gray, icky outside and I really, really wish y'all had packed me in your suitcase. Enjoy the sunshine for us!

Instigator

Anonymous said...

Enjoy, PM. You paint a marvelous, magical picture...

Playground Monitor said...

Hola! I've tried again to upload photos and the system just won't cooperate. We had rain again this morning but now the sun is out. I learned that despite the palm trees, bright flowers and aloe plants, this is a desert island. There's cactus everywhere. And we are in the middle of their rainy season. Hence the morning rain.

The DH is going on a boat snorkle trip this afternoon. I"m not a strong enough swimmer to tackle that, but I may get the resort's snorkle mask and float on a pool raft in the lagoon and see what I can spot. There's a bed of coral in the center that attracts sea life.

I was watching CNN last night and saw the midwest and northeast are getting clobbered with snow. Quite a few folks here are from those areas -- and glad they're here instead of there. It's an international group here with mostly US people but also folks from Canada, Great Britain, Finland and Venezuela. All are very nice and we've had lots of interesting dinner conversations sharing travel exploits.

Til later!

Darling Geek said...

Hopefully, you liked PC's book...

Problem Child said...

Don't fish for compliments, DG. It makes us sound desperate...

Katherine Bone said...

LOL, DG and PC!!

I'm so glad you're having a great time, PM. Wishing you plenty of sunny weather for the rest of your stay. Order an umbrella drink for me. ;)

I did something interesting today. I went got to hear Rudi Giuliani speak!! Awesome!!

Katherine Bone said...

Ack! I actually wrote went (and then changed my sentence to read 'got' without rereading). ;(

Christine said...

Is the book here? in the Usa??? where can i buy it??

Problem Child said...

Not just yet, Christine. You can order it from the UK now (that's where PM got her copy). I'll be up for sale on eHarl in March!

Misty Williams said...

I want to be there too, PM. Glad your having a wonderful time. :)

Hmmm...I need a vacation. HAHA! Guess I'll settle for a book. :D