Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Grumble, Grumble, Gobble, Gobble!


So, I'm supposed to write a blog about gratitude and what I'm thankful for because it's Thanksgiving.

But I don't want to. I can't think of anything unique to talk about. *Everyone* is talking about what they're thankful for -- it's the whole purpose of Thanksgiving, I know that -- but every blog in the sphere is listing their blessings and asking you, "What are you thankful for?" It's like Christmas carols -- "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" is great the first twenty times I hear it, but by Christmas, I'm totally sick of it. (Oh, dear dog, I just realized Christmas carols start this week. Sigh.)

Yes, I am the grumpy Problem Child today. One must always live up to one's nickname, after all.

So, instead of a list about all the things I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving, I give you this:A Hand Turkey.

I love hand turkeys. I remember making them in school. I remember the first time AC brought home a hand turkey; she was thrilled to pieces with the sheer awesomeness of it. "Mom, did you know you could trace your hand and make a turkey out of it? Look!"

I'm sorry, it's impossible to be grumpy while making a hand turkey. Even for me.

(And should you not be able to figure out how to make a hand turkey just by looking at the picture, handy instructions are here.)

Someone got a little carried away with the feathers on this one:

And if hand turkeys are just too cliched, here's a foot turkey:

This one is a little more effort -- the body is the child's feet!:



And this one seems like a cool family project:



Hand turkey cookies! Awesome!



So, I guess I will be thankful for Hand Turkeys, because they make me smile. And though I haven't made one in a long time, I think I will make one (or two) this year. I may even attempt those cookies!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

PC

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today, Kate sang a version of The Hokey Pokey, using turkey parts. I thought I'd lose it when she stuck her head in while singing, "put your waddle in, put waddle out."

So I'm thankful that at my age, I don't have to sing, "put your waddle in."
PC's Mom

Maven Linda said...

There's incredible variety to Hand Turkeys. Someone has way too much time on their -- well -- hands.

PS: My verification word is "trimshe." Yes, it's definitely time to trim she.

Playground Monitor said...

I'm glad I don't have to sing "put your waddle in" too!

One of my boys made a turkey from a pine cone. The smaller end was done up into a face somehow and the larger end had the constrution paper "feathers" stuck into it and fanned out. They used small sticks for legs.

Or was it a reindeer? LOL

Children's school art is so much fun. And I learned the hard way to be very careful with the way I asked questions about their art. When #2 son brought home a drawing of Clifford the Big Red Dog, I asked what the "M" was. #2 son's little lip quivered and he said, "That's his paw." After that I'd just admire a drawing and say, "Tell me all about this!"

catslady said...

Adorable!! My kids are grown so it's been a while since I've seen any hand (and foot lol) turkeys.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I guess I made a hand turkey in elementary school or something, but that was a million years ago. I have no real recollection of it. Seems fun to do, though.

Kinda reminds me of that commerical, not sure what for, but it says "No mom, in the history of moms, has ever turned down a handmade ornament." Might be Bass Pro shops because they have a kid station to make ornaments for mom, probably while dad shops for rods and lures.

Stephanie Jones AKA Alicia Hunter Pace said...

Oh, those hand turkey cookies look great!!
I wish I had one right now.
I would gobble it up.

SP-You are correct that is a Bass Pro-Shop add

Angel said...

Wow! We are a little grumpy today, aren't we? :)

I've loved all my kids hand turkeys too! So cute. I've also seen the kids make t-shirts or sweatshirts for parents and grandparents with a footprint (in the shoe) as a reindeer's head, then they draw on antlers, eyes, and of course, a red nose. I keep saying we're gonna make those, but never quite get around to it.

Angel