I naturally gravitate to... I don't want to say beta hero, because they aren't moody and emotional. They're manly men, but more blue collar. Cops, PIs, construction workers, former military types. I guess they're alpha in a different way. They're confident, but have a sense of humor. Protective, but enjoy watching the heroine spin like a top. And let's not forget they're good with their hands. :)
I guess the better question is what makes the Presents / Desire alpha hero so irresistible? That throws some cash and power on top of the typical alpha traits. I'm compiling a list. Last week several of you guys said you were fans of various Harlequin/Silhouette lines known for their strong alpha heroes so I'm hoping you can help me out here. So far, here's my list:
1) Attractiveness. Even if not 'pretty' they have an animal magnatism that draws in the heroine, no matter how badly he irritates her.
2) Masculinity. He may not carry two by fours around the construction yard, but he definitely oozes manilness.
3) Sexuality. This guy can make parts tingle on you that you didn't even know you had. Especially when he's infuriated you (like every ten minutes). He knows his way around a woman's body and he's not afraid to use his skills to get his way.
4) Confidence. I guess with this kind of hero its even downright arrogance. They are in control of their universe and they know exactly how everything will happen (ie. the way they say it will).
5) Wealth. I'll just throw that out there. You don't have to be rich to be alpha, but you have to be alpha to be rich. And not just well off. Scrooge McDuck swimming in gold coins rich. Although there are about 20 men on this planet with that much money (and they're probably all fat and old, sadly) there are plenty to be had within the romances pages. Whether he inherited the money/business/title, or he built his empire with his own two hands, the alpha hero owns all he sees, usually including the heroine (although she may not know it yet.)
6) A secret soft spot. Maybe he grew up in a foster home and donates millions to orphanages. Maybe he has a baby sister he spoils. Maybe the heroine is his only weekness. But he always has an Achilles' Heel. Its the heroine's job to uncover and exploit this weekness until she brings the mighty to his knees (preferably with diamond ring in hand.)
What else would you add to the list?