Thursday, February 19, 2009

What the... UPDATED

I made a promise to several people - including myself - that I wouldn't post anything about the farm for awhile. My blogs had kinda gotten run over with life on the farm segments and I hadn't talked about my writing in awhile. But that was before THIS happened!

Yes, my friends, that is the newest member of our family - Winston - standing on the chair in my LIVING ROOM! Oh wait...here's another picture of the little dev...er, I mean angel.

Yes, he is rather cute, and he did have problems when he was born and was being bottle fed for a little while. But when the, grumble, grumble, grumble, did my house turn into the barn?!?

I laughed the situation off the first time I was sitting in my bed and heard a commotion in the hallway. I couldn't help but grin and groan when Zilla and Sweet Pea came tromping into the room behind this gangly, adorable thing. The most important people in my life were so excited and thought it was so funny. How could I not smile too? Until he peed on my carpet. But I nicely said, "The goat belongs outside."

The problem is that Winston now thinks he's a person. Or that Zilla is his mama (which is kinda funny in and of itself). The goat follows behind him, as in if Zilla takes on step backwards Winston would be crushed. And that's how the little devil got into my house, over and over and over again. No one could shut the door fast enough before he just bounded up the stairs and was in the kitchen. Sigh.

Being the mean and wicked woman that I am I finally had to make an edict. Barn animals stay in the barn! For the moment my house is goat free. We did just put him back outside with his mama and the other goats. However, in barely two days he's managed to get into the pasture with the donkey and almost get crushed twice. I'm a little worried that my peace and quite won't be lasting for long. We lost one baby already this year and we really don't want to lose another because he can't stay on his side of the fence.

I think maybe Winston has an adventurous streak that's going to repeatedly get him in trouble. Winston is definitely too staid a name for this goat. Got anything else we can call him?

Instigator

P.S. The winner of Susan Gable's The Pregnancy Test Passalong from Monday is M. Contact Angel within 7 days with your snail mail address at angel@writingplayground.com.

14 comments:

Katherine Bone said...

Winston seems like an appropriate name. After all, Winston Churchill once said, "Never, never, never give up." It appears your lil' Winston lives by that motto. ;)

Hang in there, Instigator!

Problem Child said...

So when someone asks your kids "were you raised in a barn?" they're going to have to think about it? :snort:

I like Winston -- I don't think you want to encourage him with a more exciting name...

Angel said...

Yep, that one has trouble written all over it...

When we had goat babies growing up, they were kept in a smaller pen separate from all the other animals so we could easily bottle feed them and they wouldn't get stepped on. We had a horse that just couldn't seem to notice something so small underneath her.

But, yeah, I don't care how cute they are. No way would I allow a goat in my house. Stay strong!

You could name him Houdini.

Angel

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Seems like all your animals have special skills. Houdini the cat who can get out of anything... Winston the goat who can charm people into letting him in the house...

I would've flipped out. Livestock in the house! Livestock in the house!

I like Winston as a name, but I'm lobbying for a full cast of Ghostbuster Goats - Hey! Goatbusters! Winston, Egon, Peter and Ray. For girls, there's Dana, Janine, Gozer, Zool. Even Slimer. Lots of possibilities, here.

Playground Monitor said...

Has he imprinted on Zilla?

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd encourage him with a more adventureous name, but if you must, how about Indiana Jones?

P.S. My verification word is petshec. Sounds like pet shack, which is what your home has turned into. ::snicker::

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Hey! I resemble that remark. Unfortunately. Sigh.

Instigator

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

"Pet Shack! Baby, Pet Shack! Pet Shack! Baby, Pet Shack! Oh the Pet Shack is a little old place where, goats can go togetherrrrr... Pet Shack, babyyyyyy...."

Sorry. Had to.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

"Sign says 'Stay Away Fools,' cause GOATS rule, at the Pe-eh-et Shack!"

I'm done now.

Lynn Raye Harris said...

ROFL, SP! Um, I agree with Kathy about Winston. It's definitely the name of a tenacious old goat, which he will hopefully grow up to be. :)

I brought a pony in the house once. The pig got in by accident. Parents were not home, thankfully. We laugh about it now, but I'm sure they'd have went ballistic at the time.

This is why I live in suburbia, thank you. Had my time on the farm. D-O-N-E. Cats can come inside. Dogs up to a certain size (which is why I don't have a dog). All other creatures are banned in the Harris household. :)

PC's Mom said...

Maybe you should think about writing chidren's stories in addition to romance. You wouldn't have to do any research.

Lets see....if you let the goat sit on the chair, he will want to sit on the couch. If you let the goat sit on the couch, he will want to sit at the kitchen table.... (This is supposed to be a spoof on "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.")

Move over Charlotte and Wilbur, here comes Winston!

Oh, and as a child, we had a calf in the basement for a few weeks one winter.

Rhonda Nelson said...

Instigator, if it makes you feel any better, my mother used to bring her sick goats in the house all the time when I was growing up.

I like the name Winston. :-)

(Verification word is sesuck.)
Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

You have such a giving heart, Winston's in the house. Not this sister. I do like the name Winston but what about Trouble? Seeing as....
robertsonreads

Anonymous said...

My family might have been eating goat stew if it got into my house. Our cat carried in a chipmunk once and that was bad enough. But a big four-legged thing like a goat? Uh no.

Elaine

Christine said...

Winston is very adorable... but... I've never had a goat in my house.