Friday, August 08, 2008

It Really Does Happen - UPDATED

Conference was great. The best one I've had so far, I think. Sadly, if I don't count the workshop I gave, I only went to one and a half sessions, but there was so many other wonderful things to fill my schedule. Book signings, meet and greets, chatting with friends in the bar. Nevermind all the wonderful touristy things to do. I can't imagine how different it is for someone who also has publisher events, meetings with their editor, etc. Heck, we hardly saw Lynn for all the Golden Heart events she had to go to.

This year, I deliberately didn't pitch. Last year I did and was mightily disappointed by the way the agent I pitched to handled my proposal over the last year. I had plenty going on my own, thanks to the Circle of Five, so I was just going to relax and enjoy it.

My college roommate, Dr. Brilliant, lives just outside of SFO. You might remember her from these previous posts. Anyway, she took the train into town and we went to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory Thursday night. Afterward, I brought her up to our room to pick out a historical romance from the pile I'd collected. As we waited for the elevator with another lady, Dr. Brilliant asked me about my badge, which said "PRO" across the bottom. I told her it meant that I had finished a book, and well, been rejected. About six times. The woman waiting with us offered that it was a badge of honor and something to be proud of.

So we get on the elevator and the other woman asks me what I write. I tell her I write quirky paranormals. She asks if I'm pitching this year. I said no, by the time I got around to it, there wasn't much available. Then it happened. The thing that everyone says happens, but I've yet to hear or experience an actual instance of it.

She told me she was taking appointments Saturday morning at 9. If I could meet her down there at 8:45, she'd fit me in. At this point, I hadn't a clue who she was or who she worked for. She gave me her card. She was an agent. I was nearly stunned speechless. I gave her my card and told her that was fine. I wasn't really sure what to say or do. I walked Dr. Brilliant to her subway stop, then returned to the room, sort of bewildered and numb. Of course, I dashed off to meet the other Playfriends at the eHQ PJ party and share my news. We had a little squeee and immediately googled the agent. Everything checked out.

Saturday morning I showed up and we had a nice chat. She told the lady checking in appointments that she should expect a tall, thin woman with lovely long blonde hair and light eyes. She had me at "thin." Anyway, it all went by pretty quickly. I was completely unprepared, so it was all very casual. She asked for a partial. I'll be sending it shortly.

I don't know how this will all work out in the end. We'll see. Either way, I wanted to share my story so the next time you go to conference, you'll have that elevator pitch all prepared. You might, in fact, actually need it! If you went to conference this year (or in the past) what was your craziest or best moment? If you've never attended something like this, have you ever had something great drop into your lap when you least expected it?

SP

The Circle of Five Rides Again!
1 full MS with an editor
1 partial soon to be with an agent
5 short stories and features with the Trues

The winner of an autographed copy of Whispers in the Dark is Ellen! Email Instigator with your information to collect your awesome prize! Thanks to everyone who came out and made Kira's launch party a success. If you didn't win, remember you can pick up your copy at Amazon or Books a Million.

12 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

I was told the Mojo was strong this year, and this just reaffirms it.

You Go SP!!!! WOOHOO!!! How incredible is that!!

May GREAT things continue to happen to you and yours!

(Now, I'm scrounging for some mojo....*Grin*)

Problem Child said...

Gee, we'd talked about planning the "elevator moment," so I'm glad it worked out.

You know, stories like this are like Bigfoot stories--folks claim it has happened, but you never really believe. Guess I need to rethink Bigfoot. And UFOs...

Jolie said...

Woohoo, SP! I'll keep my finger crossed that your unexpected elevator agent encounter "PAN's" out for you. ;)

Angel said...

Wow!! Mojo was good.

Congratulations. Like PC mentioned, I can now say I actually know someone that happened to. Good thing it wasn't the "handed the manuscript under the bathroom stall" legend. We might have to disown you. :)

The Circle of 5 has been good to us, hasn't it? Here's hoping you get a swift, positive response.

Angel

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Awesome, SP! I was semi-prepared for the elevator pitch, but it never happened. It is indeed like Bigfoot. You hear about it, but never actually know the person it happened to. Until now. :)

I'm *finally* recovering from the conference experience. I had a great time, and my mojo was pretty good too. We'll see what happens now. I still have revisions to do.....

Playground Monitor said...

I remember when you told us about it. I could actually hear the Twilight Zone music in the background.

Yep, we have had an actual sighting of the elevator pitch succeeding. You'll go down in the annals of RWA conference history.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm thrilled to hear such things really do happen. But I believe that anything is possible...including Bigfoot. Fingers crossed for speedy good news!

Sherry Werth said...

SP, that is really some great news! Congratulations!

I got a gut feeling this is the one for you. It was so unexpected and unplanned and she didn't have to say a thing. But she did and you did and well..there you go.
:D

mslizalou said...

That is awesome news SP! Congrats and good luck.

Katherine Bone said...

SQUEEE!! I'm so glad you went to that appointment, SP. Just goes to prove that preparation and flexibility pay off. As they say, sometimes it's all about being in the right place at the right time. :-)

Let's begin, like Austen Powers stirring up the mojo, wave your hands inward and cross them up toward your nose.

Breathe in. Ah! Inhale the mojo!!

The partay continues....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations SP. May you continue to have much success.
robertsonreads

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Can I say that I'm glad it was you instead of me? I'm not the best at talking about my book off the top of my head.

But it's nice to know the urban legend is real ;-)

Instigator