Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I'm Back!

After being gone for over two weeks, I can’t tell you how great it is to be home—my bed, my pillow, my shower. Email access whenever I want it. The sounds of crickets in the evening instead of sirens (cities are noisy!). The piles of laundry. The empty cupboards. The mail that’s been stacking up.

Hello, my life.

Yes, I had a fabulous trip with the Darling Geek and the Amazing Child—saw great things, ate good food, had quality bonding time. AC even lost a tooth in San Francisco. (The Tooth Fairy brings extra money for ones lost on vacation—after all, cost of living in SF is much higher!)

But the conference, of course, is what you want to hear about. And let me say it was FABULOUS. I’m exhausted, my voice is gone, and I attended very few workshops, but it was the bestest RWA conference I’ve ever been to. I think the cause was this:

Photobucket

Yep, there’s my name tag with the lovely PAN notation across the bottom and the even lovelier pink First Sale ribbon beneath. I got to revisit that feeling I had back in May when I announced I’d sold and all the congratulatory emails came in. Strangers stopped me in the elevator to say congratulations, and that warm, glowy feeling came back. The occasional “squee” escaped.

That ribbon also means that conference is a totally different animal than it was before. My schedule filled up quickly with meetings, lunches, drinks and the like. And while it meant I didn’t go to many workshops (and there were some very interesting ones on the schedule), the only ones I got to be at from beginning to end were the one I moderated and the one where I was on the panel.

But it was a GREAT time! And since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll save the ones I need for my book and just post some pictures.

Photobucket

My wonderful (and just disgustingly young and beautiful) editor, Lucy Gilmor
Photobucket
Smarty Pants, me, and my Fabu CP with some pomegranate margaritas.

Photobucket
Lynn Raye Harris and us dancing at the Harlequin party
Photobucket
My beautiful, fabulous (but slightly uncomfortable) First Sale Shoes
Photobucket
The whole HOD gang at the RITA ceremony

I'm sure once everyone else gets home there will be more pictures to come. I know I need copies of the ones on other folks' cameras (like our workshop, our breakfast with Barbara Vey, and so many more.)

PC

And I'd like to thank everyone for keeping Angel company so wonderfully last week. All the comments were great! I think she still missed us though!

12 comments:

Jane said...

Welcome back. That's a pretty First Sale ribbon. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics.

M.V.Freeman said...

Hi PC,
I have been DYING to talk to everyone who went to conference (I am saving my pennies already for next year).

I also want to hear about the fine points of attending RWA with family--because they want to come with me. I am not sure to be wary or happy ..LOL

The pictures were great (loved the one with your first sale on it). The shoes are FAB!

(ok, yes, I admit, I'm up early, and I am drinking way too much coffee at this time of day...)

Jolie said...

Oooh, that is a beautiful name tag! I can't wait until that's me someday!! :P And the other pics are great too, BTW. Can't wait for more. :)

Problem Child said...

Mary--the finest point of attending conference with family is DON'T. My family left Tuesday morning. I wouldn't be able to split my time between them. If the family wants to see the conference city, go early, take them sightseeing as a family, and send them home before conference starts.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, PC! And congrats on your accessorized name tag and First Sale ribbon. Looks like a good time was had by all. BTW, I could use one of those stellar fun drinks for this meeting I have in half an hour.

Playground Monitor said...

Greetings from a weary Playground Monitor. We head to the airport in a bit and have a 4 hour flight ahead, and I could do with a four-hour nap. I have to blog tomorrow and have no earthly idea what I'll blog about. Brain dead doesn't begin to cover my state of mind.

It was a great conference and I caught up with all my peeps (which is why I'm never in the photos).

Hold down the fort til the rest of us get back.

PM

Angel said...

SQUEEEE!!!!! I'm so glad to have at least one of my peeps back! I got to go see the pink ribbon in person yesterday. It's so pretty!!!

PM, just talk about conference. We all want to hear it!!! :)

Maryf, I have to agree with PC, families during conference will cause a lot of push and pull, because there really is no "off" time to spend with family during conference. Before, yes. During, no. If they insist on going, just prepare them that they won't see you, because you'll be at conference events and they aren't allowed. And I doubt your children want to hang out in the bar.... :)

Of course, that's just my opinion from having been to conference. I know some people do take families, though very few take kids. Lots of hubbies around though.

I took my sister to the launch party for Acheron (Sherrilyn Kenyon) last night. Saw Liza there!!!! She was nice enough to scope out my picture so she could recognize me. :) And I got to spend time with Barbara Vey! She's such a sweetie. Thanks for the mugs, Barbara!!! We love them.

The setting was very appropo, but man was it hot in there!

Angel

Sherry Werth said...

Welcome home PC! Sounds like everyone had a great time. And having a first sale was all the more special for you!!

Love the pictures and can't wait to see more!

Linda Winstead Jones said...

From experience, I have to say taking family to conference is NOT a good idea. I barely had time to talk to my husband on the phone during the San Francisco trip, and on the rare occasions he's gone with me in the past, he's been on his own for days at a time. He also came away with a fear of overcrowded elevators. Imagine that. :-)

LJ

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Thanks for sharing your pictures. Can't wait to see more of them.
robertsonreads

mslizalou said...

Welcome back PC! I love your first sale shoes.

Angel, it was so much fun to meet you and your sister last night. Hope to see you again if you head back to Nashville. The Acheron signing was wonderful, but way too hot. Fun place, but no a/c...in August.

M.V.Freeman said...

LOL! Thanks for the advice from everyone, I will make sure my family goes home early. I had spoken with Angel about this before, but I couldn't help myself. Besides, I need all the ammo I can get to convince them not to stay.

Still, the energy everyone brings back is wonderful. Let the writing and reading begin!