Tuesday, September 05, 2006

It's Tuesday, right?

Man, three-day weekends (while lots of fun with the sleeping in and all), really screw up my timeline. I forget which day it is, and I'll be screwy all week as realize I'm a day ahead of where I think I should be. I nearly forgot it was my day to blog!

I didn't get as much done on the WIP yesterday as I'd hoped. Partly because DG was home, clicking away on his computer (The way our office is set up, I can't see him, but I can hear him), and while he did a good job not bugging me overall, I think the mere fact of him being here kept me from focusing properly.

But, deep down, I know the main reason I didn't get much done yesterday was because it'd been too long since I'd had quality time with my WIP. I didn't have any momentum coming into it; I had to go back and read to see where I was. I had to look at the synopsis to see what was going on. I'd lost touch with my characters and my story.

Note to self: Don't stay away from WIP too long. All those folks who tell you to write every day, no matter what, really do have a point. Hmmm...

So I'm going to try to spend more time with my WIP this week. I know I won't get a lot done until after the 14th of Sept, but maybe just reading what I have, and brainstorming a few ideas or lines of dialogue will keep the WIP fresh enough so when I do get back to seriously writing, I'll have a little momentum there.

On a completely different note, head over to Miss Snark's blog when you have time to kill. Miss Snark is running the 3rd Semi-Regular Crapometer, and this time she's snarking query letters and first pages. Ever wonder how long you have to catch an agent's attention? The Snarkling-submitted entries are being read just like standard slush. She even tells you where she stops reading and why. It's very educational, and I recommend it. (Yes, I know. I'm whining because I don't have time to work on my WIP, but I'm reading Snark Slush. Yeah, but I can read Snark Slush during the three minutes I'm on hold with a vendor...)

Don't be surprised if I'm a bit out of touch until the 15th. I have two workshops to present (which means I should pull those together), a 4-day conference to finish planning and supervise, and a baby shower to plan and host. But, while I'm out slogging at the Pesky Day Job next week, Roxanne St. Claire will be here in my place. How cool is that!?!

PC

2 comments:

Katherine Bone said...

That's real cool, LJ. Sometimes a good cleaning can be like christmas. My DH and son cleaned out our garage this weekend and we were surprised by what was found out there.

Perhaps you have discovered a masterpiece. You know a wine before it's time...

Kathy

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I wish I could trip over 200 pages somewhere. Yeah, it'd probably need a lot of work, but it's 2/3rds of the way to something.

I did nothing all weekend. Went grocery shopping, watched TV, piddled around, but that was really it. Love that. And yes, it feels like Monday, so my brain is completely off, but in a good way. The weekend will get here just that much sooner. Of course, that means the WORKSHOP will be here that much sooner. Sigh...

SP