Monday, April 23, 2012

Critique Partner - For Life?



As a writer, I've found critique partners invaluable. Several of the Playfriends critique my work in various stages, along with my sister, and the occasional feedback from a Maven, fellow writer, or contest judge. These invaluable people offer me encouragement on what I'm doing write, notes on what I'm doing wrong, and invariably awesome advice on how to improve my writing.

Its only recently that I realized I have people close to me that I turn to for Life critiques, too. These are the women (okay, occasionally its my husband, too) that I check in with life isn't going exactly as I planned. I present the situation, and they do a combination of any of the following: smack me with a wake up call, sympathize, offer advice or different strategies for coping, or share similar issues that they've had and how they dealt with them.

You know who these people are in your own lives. They're the ones you itched to call just as soon as the pressure is on, the ones you could stay up all night talking to, the first person you want to invite to lunch when you have a few minutes to spare.

I know a few women who don't have these types of people in their lives, and I find that very sad. Women thrive on interpersonal relationships – whether its one or several (as is my case and I count myself exceedingly blessed). And whether these relationships help you to blow off steam, figure out a solution to a difficult problem, or simply let you forget your worries for a while, they are more valuable than gold and to be protected with constant vigilance.

Today I want to celebrate these wonderful relationships in our lives! Tell us, who helps you critique your life (in the best possible way)?

Angel

4 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

Of course I have the Playfriends. And I have a women I'd never met until 2 1/2 years ago when we met in a divorce recovery group. Now she's one of my dearest friends. We lived in the same part of town and we had children in the same graduating class of high school. But our paths never crossed til those meetings. It was not important for us to meet until that point. And boy have I been blessed by knowing her.

Angel said...

Isn't it interesting, PM, that those people come into our lives just when we need them? :)

Stephanie Jones AKA Alicia Hunter Pace said...

I have my writing partner, Jean.

We have been together through some rough downs and joyous ups together I feel very lucky that she enriches my life.

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Y'all! :-) You guys are my reality check when I need one the most. I couldn't survive with out you!

Insti