Friday, April 20, 2012

Romantic Times

I recently got back from my first Romantic Times convention. It coincided well with my release, so I packed up my promo and went to Chicago with PC and Lynn Raye Harris. What an experience! Parties, costumes, workshops, mixers, signings... I fell into bed exhausted every night. But it was fun.
A few highlights...
First, my very first booksigning. Barbara Vey with Publisher's Weekly had a reader's luncheon in Milwaukee the day before the convention started. The three of us drove up there for the day. After hosting a table and giving away a doorprize, there was a booksigning. Here I am.
Another cool event was the series social organized by our very own event planner extraordinaire, PC. All the Harlequin passion authors hosted a get together for readers to come and mingle. We played romance trivia and gave away a ton of books. Of course, my team won. I can't be sure, but I think Emily McKay's (not pictured) team was cheating... :) (L to R: Cat Schield, me, Janette Kenney, Maisey Yates, Mira Lyn Kelly, Zuri Day, Caitlin Crews, Lynn Raye Harris, Jade Lee/Kathy Lyon, Kimberly Lang & Lisa Renee Jones)
The booksigning on Saturday was insane. There was something like 500 authors there, including folks like Anne Rice, Charlaine Harris and JR Ward. Then, me! Crazy. My line wasn't nearly as long as theirs. Luckily, PC was next to me alphabetically and we kept each other company. Aren't we cute?
More imporantly, though, is that I got a copy of Dead Until Dark signed by Charlaine Harris. She was so nice. I had to go up to her right as she came in so I could get back to my seat before the doors opened. She was very gracious and posed for this picture with me.
In addition to all this, I gave away a crazy amount of promo and came back with twice as many books. My poor luggage. I got new trading cards for my July book - More Than He Expected and cool purple pens.
Have you ever attended RT, RWA Nationals or any other big event like that? Ever gone to a big booksigning where you live? Any authors you'd love to meet and get their autograph, but haven't gotten the chance?
Andrea

3 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

Before the ginormous book signing at RWA Nationals, the biggest one I'd been to was at the old Books a Million on Airport Road. It was one author with one book -- Moon Shot by Alan Shepard and Deke Slayton, two members of the first astronaut team. And Shepard of course was the first American to go into space. I had to stand in line for about an hour to get him to autograph 5 copies of the book (that's what everyone got for Christmas that year). I still have that book.

Despite your worries about being an introvert at RT, it sounds like you had a great time.

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I have RT envy! :-) I missed being there, but I'm really glad you, PC and Lynn had a fabulous time!

Insti

Stephanie Jones AKA Alicia Hunter Pace said...

I am so excited for you! You look like you are having such fun in all the pictures!

I would love the meet Lori Foster. She is one of my new favorites!