Monday, April 16, 2012

Cool Places to Visit in the Writing World





While I whole lot of time on the computer-but not nearly as much as others–I thought I'd share a few of my favorite writer/reader hot spots on the web today. These cool places include reader news, humor, inspiration, motivation, and more. Check them out!

Barbara Vey's Beyond Her Book on Publisher's Weekly
(link in sidebar)

I first met Barbara Vey when she interviewed the Playfriends at an RWA National Convention, and whenever we're at conventions together, we try to schedule a breakfast date. Smarty Pants and Problem Child just attended Barbara's first ever Readers Luncheon last week! This woman is smart, funny, and one of the most intuitive readers I've ever encountered. Her blog covers everything from romance, to celebrity spottings, conventions, and her thoughts on writing, reading, and publishing. I know you'll love her just as much as we do!

The Romance Man

This is my go-to place for a good laugh! My good friend (and newly contracted Entangled author!) Gina Leigh Maxwell introduced me to this hilarious, naughty man-view of the world of romance. This blog is written by a man who indeed reads romance, and offers an opinion on everything from books, dating, condom use, communication, living with a wife and daughters, and many things I can't name here because we try to keep it PG. But if you don't mind raunchy language, this one is hilarious! Oh, and your hubby would love it too! (Warning: Rated R)

The Mutual Admiration Society

This accountability blog for writers, run by my sister Ella Sheridan, is a place I hang out almost daily. Here I and fellow authors offer encouragement, motivation, hugs, and pep talks through this wacky world of writing and publishing. We post daily/weekly goals and accomplishments, and give each other swift kicks in the rear when necessary. Plus, I love to watch my little word ticker go up!

Deviant Art

This totally cool site has inspiration in many different forms. It’s a social networking site for visual artists and art enthusiasts who can exhibit and share their artwork with the community at large. I love to simply type in a word in the search bar and click to see where it goes. There are line drawings, unique photography of people, places, and some really creepy things, digital art, and much, much more! The art here is evocative and draws me into the mood/style I'm looking for in my own work, even though my pictures are created with words. The perfect place to boost your creativity!

There are quite a few more places/people listed in the Field Trips section of our sidebar, including lots of cool writer friends of ours! But I'd love to hear where your favorite places to visit on the web are (excluding Facebook and Twitter – which are a given!).

Angel
www.DaniWade.com

3 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

I hadn't heard about The Romance Man before. What a guy!

PC's Mom said...

I love any webcam in Scotland! This link gives you a verity of cams to choose from:

http://www.scotlandinfo.eu/webcams-in-scotland

However, my current favorite webcam is set in Africa and includes audio. I can watch all three cams at once and one day I was able to watch a herd of giraffes! They are 7 hours ahead of us, but that's not a problem because you can watch even when it's dark. Warning, the crickets are deafening at night.

http://www.africam.com/wildlife/

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Ooh, I'm gonna have to check out the Romance Man site. It sounds like a great break.

Kira