Thursday, May 06, 2010

Theater Thursday

The summer movie season is about to swing into full gear. For me (and lots and lots of aimless teenagers) that means there will be plenty of interesting movies to choose from. Ironman 2, Letters to Juliet, Robin Hood, Shrek Forever After, Sex and the City 2, Prince of Persia... And these are just the May releases that I want to see. There are a ton more in June (Eclipse anyone?) July and into August.

The list is pretty long but a couple of them stand out for me. Macgruber is being released in May. I've only seen the SNL sketch once or twice but I thought it was hilarious. I might have to drag Zilla to this one for the sheer enjoyment of watching him watch the movie. I do not think he will appreciate the humor. I also think he'll point out to me every time they employ some scientific principle that couldn't possibly exist. So much fun.

There is even a movie called Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead. I'm not entirely sure what it's about but I loved Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. I'm thinking maybe it's the movie version of Sense and Sensibilities and Sea Monsters. Might have to check it out for sheer intrigue.

In preparation for the new marathon movie season, I've spent the last few weeks trying to catch up on the movies that I wanted to see in the theater but missed. My problem is that half the time I rent a movie and then don't end up watching it. I don't know how many times I've kept one for 3 or 4 days only to decide I'm not going to make the time and just take it back. The Men Who Stare At Goats, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Blind Side. On more than one occasion I've found myself purchasing a movie from pay per view that I'd had from the video store the week before but never watched. Am I the only person who does this?

What movies are you looking forward to seeing? Caught any good flicks lately? I enjoyed The Young Victoria (although it put Zilla to sleep) and The Blind Side.

Instigator

7 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

I *LOVED* The Blind Side. #2 son and I saw it at Christmas and really enjoyed it. Last week a friend and I saw The Back-Up Plan. The critics panned it but my friend and I were simply looking for fun entertainment and that's what we got. There's one part where we both laughed so hard we cried.

I'm looking forward to Ironman 2 and Letters to Juliet (saw the preview during TB-UP). Not so sure about Sex and the City 2. I liked SATC but something about this one just feels off to me.

I've been watching lots of Hallmark Channel movies lately. Tonight I started watching Mrs. Washington Goes to Smith about a divorcee who returns to college after her kids are grown and ends up with a rebellious 18-year-old as a roommate because of a mix-up with campus housing.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I have to admit that MacGruber makes me chuckle. Might have to drag DB to that.

Personally I'm looking forward to Iron Man 2 this weekend (my stepdad is taking me for my birthday), Eclipse, of course, and Letters to Juliet. The previews for that one tug at my heart. Might be the swelling Taylor Swift music, I don't know, but I want to see it, more for Vanessa Redgrave's storyline than the other one.

Anonymous said...

"It's Complicated" is the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. The entire theater was laughing out loud. However, this is not a movie for the girls.

Ditto PM's love of the Blind Side, it's a great movie!

PC's Mom

Playground Monitor said...

I wasn't sure if I would enjoy "It's Complicated" but I did. And yeah, laugh-out-loud moments but not for kids.

catslady said...

I would love to see Robin Hood. There is also a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio coming this summer - can't remember the name though (one word lol)that looked wonderful in the previews.

Problem Child said...

I'm very behind on my movie watching. I think I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't seen The Blind Side. Netflix sent Time Traveler's Wife a month ago and I haven't had the time to watch it yet...

Jane said...

I'm really looking forward to Prince of Persia and Inception with Leonardo DiCarpio. I'm also excited about Toy Story 3.