Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

Some days, I feel like an imposter. Yes, I know today is Memorial Day. Its been all over Facebook with poignant pictures like this one.


They're beautiful, and remind me to feel truly grateful and proud of my many family members (including my father and several uncles) who served in every branch of the armed forces except the Marines. I even grew up in a town centered around a navy military base.

But I also feel slightly unpatriotic. You see, as an adult (and even in my teen years), we never celebrated these holidays in the traditional sense. We don't go to any local parades or Memorial Day events. My husband (in his former career and his new one) has always worked on these patriotic holidays. The kids and I are on our own for most of the day, so we rest, hang out, maybe catch a movie. Some years we'll get together with extended family or friends for a BBQ, but for the most part our holidays are simply a break from the rush of our normal routine.

And I'm very grateful to the men and women who gave their lives so I can enjoy this time with my family! What about your family? How do y'all normally spend your Memorial Day holiday?

Angel

No comments: