Thursday, September 28, 2006

Procrastination Wins Again

Anyone who knows me understands that I'm a procrastinator. I've been one for a long, long time. And while it often frustrates me apparently not enough to make me change my stripes. Once again, it is time to write my blog and I have absolutely, positively nothing to contribute.

I'm hoping part of the reason nothing inspiring is coming to mind is because I've used up a large chunk of my creativity tonight writing on my book. Finally. After weeks of pulling teeth for one or two sentences (or nothing at all) the story has started working again. I'm not entirely certain why I haven't been able to write on this story because I love it. In fact, it's a book that I started about 1 1/2 years ago and put aside for another project. Perhaps the problem came in because I'm completely revamping it, starting over from scratch and adding several new layers to the plot and characterization. I think maybe I just needed to let the new angles stew for a bit.

So they've stewed and I'm writing. In fact, I'm 27 pages into a 60 page goal. If I buckle down and work at my normal rate I can have this rough draft (of the partial) finished in about a week. I don't know though, we've got a lot going on in the next several days. Maybe I should give myself a couple weeks. Of course, I said that about a month ago and look where that got me.

Instigator

P.S. I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to load the promised picture of the cute/ugly kitten. For some reason my computer and camera have decided they don't like each other anymore. I'll attempt to post it tomorrow...

5 comments:

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Me too. I don't know why a book that flowed so easily out of me refuses to let me edit it. I don't want to work on it anymore and my IE is bored with it. Maybe its because this book and the last book are so closely related it feels like I've been writing one big book for almost 2 years. I'm ready to do something else. Being very naughty, I have been. I've got 20 very easy pages that just sprung onto my computer screen while I procrastinate about the rest.

I wanna see the ugly/cute kitten!

Angel said...

We all must be having a case of fall fever! Instead of working on my synopsis last night, I scrapbooked. (insert blush)

Angel

Unknown said...

I've been procrastinating on edits for my short story for a week. (Shhhh, don't tell my editor)

I had to take a break to finish up a Halloween short story that I'd procrastinated writing and was in danger of missing the deadline,(Shhh, don't tell my other editor)

Now I'm procrastinating on trying to catch up on procratinated work. Ugh! What a vicious cycle.

From one procrastinator to another, here's a big HUG.

Playground Monitor said...

I am the Queen of Procrastination. But sometimes I work better under pressure and it helps to put it off til the last moment.

LOL Lee at the layered procrastination. That's a writer for you! And good luck getting your Halloween story out.

PM

Anonymous said...

Yay for getting back in the groove on your WIP. Honestly, I think that's one of your best MS yet, so I'm glad to year you've picked it back up again and are making progress. Keep it up!!