Friday, August 18, 2006

Easy on the Eyes


As you read this Friday morning, Smarty Pants is having surgery on her eyes to correct her nearsightedness. Exciting stuff. Here's to the hope that I end up with a beautiful set of 20/20s and that my cornea doesn't rip off or get infected or anything else icky. In the next few days, I'll be scarce. I don't think I'm allowed to stare at a computer for hours at a time, at least initially.

I guess it goes without saying that I'm nervous. A laser pointing at one's head is always a bad thing, especially when my mind can come up with half a million things that could go wrong. I've only got two eyes, you know. Plus I'm an eye rubber, so I'll have to sleep in these rubber goggles for a week. SEX-AY! I am looking forward to it, though. Not only will I get to ditch the glasses and contacts, but it is offering me a much welcome break from working on my books. Even something you love can wear on a person after a while. My six week first draft blew past and for all intents and purposes, the draft is done. I didn't hit my page goal, I'm only at about 90% there, but the main scenes are there, they just need to be fleshed out more. Then came Nationals. Then my full request, so I've been editing and going over that story over and over and over...

I'm tired.

My creative juices are starting to dry up. Plus, the other day, I had a great idea for the next book, so its hard to focus on the other two, although the third book in a trilogy means nothing without the first two. I could use some time to think about it, though, so I can build up the characters a bit towards the end of book two. Three days on the couch sound pretty good. I can think, plot, sleep, whatever, and not feel guilty about it.

We've talked about activities to work around writer's block and refilling the well. What do you do when your brain just doesn't want to play along anymore and you're not inclined to force it? A weekend at the beach? Go see the latest Johnny Depp movie? Law & Order marathon on TNT? I know not everyone stoops to surgery to get some peace...

Don't forget to scroll down and see our cool new contest to commemmorate our 15,000th blog hit. That's just crazy. :)

SP


Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
62,750 / 70,000
(89.6%)

7 comments:

Problem Child said...

You're gonna love the result of the surgery. I had mine done 3 years ago...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. And yes, you do get to sleep in the very sexy goggles, but I don't think you'll need all three days on the couch. (Sorry! Or is that just what we're telling DB?)

Happy Surgery!

Anonymous said...

I'll send positive vibes your way, SP. Three days on the couch to me sounds positively heavenly.

As for what I do to refill the well--whatever strikes my fancy. I read. I watch movies. Mostly I sleep. When I'm working, the insomnia sets in because my brain simply refuses to shut down. :::sigh::: Hello, 3AM, my old friend. :-)

Katherine Bone said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery, SP! This will be a well-deserved break for you.

As for me, reading, any kind of creative work, (needle-work, etc...) gardening, spending time with family, watching movies, doing research, and getting plenty of exercise, all help restore my energy.

Kathy

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

Good Luck, SP! I know everything will go fine though. You'll have to tell me about the process. I've been dying to have the surgery done. Maybe next year. Sigh.

Refill the well? Read. Watch movies. Watch reality TV (I know :-). Play with my girls.

Instigator

Playground Monitor said...

Good luck with the surgery! Can't wait for the "trip report" from you. Yes, you have to write us a report on it so folks who might be considering this surgery can have another viewpoint.

Enjoy that rest. Rest isn't a four-letter word, you know. Well, it is, but you know what I mean. There's nothing wrong with taking time off to heal and rejuvenate. It does a body good. I took that week or two after Nationals and I came back with a vengeance.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the surgery! And yes, please give the particulars on it. Have fleetingly thought about it, but like you, the thought of a laser on my eyes(I only get issued 2 of these for life, ya know?!)just scares the daylights outta me. Now as for refilling the well...downtime so that the gray matter doesn't have to work-work is always good. I'm an auditor for a local convenience store chain, so the actual chatting with the different mix of people is quite refreshing. I love to read, but it got to the point where I was reading the books so fast, that I didn't get to savor the story and characters. So I have slowly been reading my latest stash of books ;)

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

SP here - both eyes intact! They're both a little bloody and feel like I have sand in them, but I've taken a long, long nap and can see well enough to get on the computer for just a minute or two. I'll give a full report later this week!

SP